Chinese-Forums

Visa Run - How To

sthubbar

Roddy, would it be possible to put a link to a thread that has details on making a visa run? I just got back from a run and I thought it was a simple process and turned out being more of an adventure than I had planned. I'll share what I learned and would love to hear how others have done this.

I was on a resident permit student visa that was set to expire at the end of August. I am planning on starting working for a company and from all the information I have gotten from several sources there is no way to turn a study resident permit into a work resident permit. Therefore a visa run is necessary to obtain on L visa that can then be turned into a work resident permit.

The Plan

The plan was to fly to Shenzhen on Friday night, spend one night in Shenzhen, Saturday go to Hong Kong, obtain the visa on Saturday or Sunday and then return to Shenzhen on Sunday late afternoon to catch a late night flight back to Beijing.

The Reality

Flew to Shenzhen relatively uneventfully. Tried to take taxi to hotel. Discovered that Shenzhen taxi drivers don't like to use the meter. I thought I had booked a hotel near the airport and the driver quoted me 50 RMB, I thought it was too much, then he said 40 RMB. I ended up taking another taxi that agreed to use the meter. I have never seen a taxi meter go up so fast. Ended up spending 75 RMB for the meter. Doohhh.

Asked at hotel what is best way to get to Hong Kong. They recommend taking the Fur Yong ferry. Next morning take a taxi to ferry, this time just agree to 40 RMB price without the meter. Of course arrived at the terminal at 1155 and the boat left at 1150 and the next boat 1430. No problem. Take the 1430 boat.

Arrive in Hong Kong and I had done a little research and it looked like CTS (China Travel Service) had many offices around HK and they are open on weekends. Turns out there is one right near where I got off the boat and I thought, "Wow, so lucky, this will be easy." Haha, well I went there and they said "Sorry, no visa on the weekends." Huh? I thought I had heard it was possible, but they had no ideas.

OK, so then I had to scramble to change my return flight and extend my hotel reservation. I won't go into that fiasco because it doesn't relate to getting the visa.

While wandering around Kowloon, on Peking Street I happened to see a sign for "Shoestring Travel." Sounded and looked like a backpackers type of place. In my experience these type of places know the ways around the law. I returned to their office on Sunday and they said they could get me a visa by 1:30 on Monday. They agreed that Saturday and Sunday was not doable.

Ended up getting the Visa no problem and I would recommend Shoestring Travel.

In all, in my opinion this was an expensive method of obtaining a visa. I spent more than 5200 RMB, just including one night hotel, not the 3 nights I actually spent. Diqiucun, was quoting me 3700 RMB for a 6 month F Visa. That consisted of 3000 RMB tuition for 6 months and then 700 RMB to obtain the Visa.

There must be a cheaper way to do the visa run. I read some previous posts and it all seemed so easy. I even seemed to read something that gave me the impression one just walked across the boarder, got a cup of coffee at Starbucks and then walked back.

Well, I'm a little wiser now. BTW, on my way back at the Shenzhen Fu Yong there was a visa office right there. Unfortunately they closed at 5PM and I was there around 5:30. I was told that they can do visa's almost instantly, though that was from a random terminal working, could be true, I don't know. Anyone used the Turbojet visa service at Shenzhen?

Well, hope maybe we can help others that might have to do this run.

Sorry to hear about your not-so-smooth experience.

I believe that experiences can differ so much in this lovely country, that I doubt if debating on personal experiences would be of much concrete help. Except for the standard procedures.

That said, many people ask questions about the several kinds of visas and their application/validity proceedings. I believe that justifies a separate sticky by itself.

Personally, having travelled through quite a few bureaucratic developing countries, I always advise people to take nothing for granted. Better schedule a descent timeframe with something more fun like a holiday or family/friend/shopping visit. It avoids (or at least reduces) any unpleasant experiences.

I want to comment about your Shenzhen experience. I never had a taxi driver that wants to talk about the price - the meters here are probably the highest price in China. Did you take the taxi from the official taxi rank? It should cost about RMB100 to the city. Maybe you were staying in some outback hotel that they didn't want to go - the normal maroon colour taxis are only allowed to pick up from the airport and go back to the downtown SEZ. In any case, I wouldn't try to stay near the airport - it is dusty around there and mostly just factories: kind of like the wild west :)

Best to take the comfy airport bus to the city, and stay in Luohu or Futian. You can get an L visa by going through the border to the HK side (to get an HK stamp), then come straight back again and find the CTS guys in between the two check points . Or go downtown and arrive before midday to get the same day service - no need to spend money on an HK hotel. And get up and out early in the morning so that you have time for those unforeseen problems - I'd give yourself 2 to 3 hours to get from SZ to downtown HK.

Senzhi: I appologize for the tone of my post. My intent is to help others that might do a visa run.

Roddy: Wouldn't this be a great use for a Wiki? A long discussion might not be as helpful as one page that we can update with this type of instructions.

johnd: Thanks for the input. This is the type of message I read before leaving that made it seem like a piece of cake. Can you elaborate.

1) Is this service availalbe on weekends? What hours?

2) Exactly where and what method is used to cross the border? Is this by foot? By car? By bus? By boat? By train? What city?

3) You mention "find the CTS guys in between the two check points" and then you mention "give yourself 2 to 3 hours to get from SZ to downtown HK". Why would I need to go to downtown HK if I'm just going across the border, turning around and coming back?

Even after having done a run, I'm still confused?! :help

Thanks.

Sthubbar,

No need to apologise, I had no negative feelings reading your post.

Visa issues are common: the rules tend to change quickly at the local level. That only causes a lot of confusion for everybody.

Not to mention if you have to deal with people who fell out of the wrong side of the bed this morning.

I support the Wiki idea, for it can be updated rather quickly.

Sorry, I was talking about two different options: one is to get the visa at the border, the second is to go downtown.

Get the visa at the border:

1) Everyday, like you said I think they finish at 5pm - but better to go in the morning to be sure

2) I used Huang Gang border, and cross by foot and shuttle bus. Also available at Luohu crossing by foot, but longer waiting time. As you said, it seems there is also this service at the ferry terminals. I can't comment on the new border crossing at Huang Gang that connects with the SZ metro (new and old Huang Gang are now two different crossings).

3) Just turn around and come back

Get same-day visa downtown

1) Everyday, you must apply before a certain time: see CTS or Shoestring

2) Enter Hong Kong any way you like

3) Need 2 to 3 hours to get from Shenzhen to downtown Hong Kong

hey, thanks for sharing your experience.

Diqiucun, was quoting me 3700 RMB for a 6 month F Visa. That consisted of 3000 RMB tuition for 6 months and then 700 RMB to obtain the Visa.

My tuition and X-visa extending is about the same as DQC and I have always wondered if that is the best way to go~ now judging from your experience I think that it definitely is since you also get the added benefit of taking classes!:mrgreen:

So, I guess I'll just stick to my X until I really really need to change to something else!

The "CTS guys" at Luohu are not between the two checkpoints. The CTS office is in the KCRC Luohu terminal to your right just before you exit through the ticket barrier. Given the layout of the station, it seems you have to buy a KCRC ticket and perhaps travel one station down the line to Sheung Shui and back to get access to this office, since it's inside the paid area of the station.

There's now a big sign in front of the CTS office advertising six-month multiple-entry visas.

Whether visas are available weekends and evenings, I don't know.

It's also not clear if these are regarded as "border visas" and not available to Americans.

Previously, the staff at this office said it took about two hours to process a visa.

I did a visa run a few months back and it only cost me about 2000-2500 RMB total. I also didn't have any of the headaches you ran into.

I took the train from Beijing to Kowloon (~25 hours, leaving and arriving in the afternoon), and got my visa with Japan Travel (Shoestring wanted ~1000 and CITS wanted ~1500).

The cost break down was basically:

600 RMB each way for the train from Beijing to Kowloon,

560 for the 6 month, next day visa (australian passport).

60/night for two nights in a cheap dorm (the trains only run on alternate days),

Then misc food, sightseeing and shopping expenses.

Looks like we are collecting some invaluable information here. Where is that Wiki? :twisted:

johnD: Any idea on the "instant" visa prices?

heifeng: What school is that inexpensive? What is your tuition? BTW, I figure you're not studying Mandarin, I thought you were a native speaker now. :)

889 et al.: Any confirmation on Americans can not receive a border visa? I have also heard this and was worried about that. Any American that have received a border visa?

imron: Thanks for the wonderful price breakdown. Useful info.

I guess if border visas are not available to Americans, I didn't do too bad. I would have to go into Kowloon anyway. Also, I believe Japan travel does not offer American visas according to their website.

So far as I know, visas-on-arrival are still not available to Americans.

Question is, since these visas are actually issued by the PSB right on the other side of the border (that's why you have to wait), are they considered visas-on-arrival for this purpose? I don't know.

But there is a telephone at the CTS Luohu office and anyone who needs more details about this question, office hours, fees, and such can call: 2673 9028.

And yes, Japan Travel no longer processes visas for Americans.

Flew to Shenzhen relatively uneventfully. Tried to take taxi to hotel. Discovered that Shenzhen taxi drivers don't like to use the meter. I thought I had booked a hotel near the airport and the driver quoted me 50 RMB, I thought it was too much, then he said 40 RMB. I ended up taking another taxi that agreed to use the meter. I have never seen a taxi meter go up so fast. Ended up spending 75 RMB for the meter. Doohhh.

This is not connected with visa run, but with Shenzhen. I slept in 如家 (Home Inn) hotel in Luohu's area 渔民村. One-bed room is 169 RMB (you have to book it in advance), room with French bed is 199 RMB (I didn't booked in advance, so I had to sleep in this kind of room). It is not listed in Lonely Planet (at least in 2005 edition). The room is clean and comfortable and I recommend this hotel. Here is their website: www.homeinns.com (only in Chinese). After I left hotel, I took a taxi to Shenzhen hotel, where is no. 330 bus station. This bus takes you to the airport.

Oh, I just go to tianying www.tianin.com which is also in wudaokou. It's classes are smaller and it's teaching isn't as mechanical as DQC, but they don't have as broad of a class selection either.

I just keep retaking the advanced HSK writing and speaking class since it forces me to keep writing...and helps me to BS on the spot when given a 热门话题

[i am trying to find some trade or professional schools to extend my visa soon....maybe we can start another thread on this: Non-language or professional training centers where you can just learn in Chinese, pay cheap tuition and extend your visa.]

I also recommend Home Inn - I haven't stayed in the Shenzhen one, but in others around China. Always very clean and comfortable.

At Huang Gang border, I found the CTS guys inside the left corner of the Mainland checkpoint - the is no proper office, that's on the other side of the security. The double entry 3 month visa was made in 10 minutes for HK720 (UK passport).