Chinese-Forums

Cost of living in Wuhan

movingtochina

We're moving to Wuhan. We're hoping to move by mid-Oct and we can't find anything on the web to help us figure out the cost of living there. We need to know the monthly expenses - rent (modest apartment - furnished/unfurnished), food, transportation, do we pay utilities? We may or may not teach english. It depends on the cost of living. Any information would be extremely helpful. Thanks

I spent my college time there (four years as a college student). I can tell you the weather there is not nice. It’s really hot in summer and cold in winter. You must get an air condition for summer time.

As regards the cost, maybe 3000 yuan RMB per month is enough for a foreigner. However, it depends on the way you live in. As far as I know, rent for an apartment would be 800 yuan per month if you live in the downtown.

Cost for transport would be low. Only one yuan paid for most of the buses, no matter at which station you want to get off.

My English is poor, so if there are any mistakes in my sentences, excuse me and I will appreciate you a lot if you correct them for me

I cant help you with rents or utilities as I am in a university here... I can tell you that buses will cost 1.2 yuan at the least (although it seems to be 1.5 most of the time... unless you are in an air conditioned bus which is more... food is pretty cheap and you can live as frugally as you like... in general it is a bit cheaper than Beijing...

Yes, most of the buses cost 1.2 yuan

But in fact no one would carry two Jiao so everyone pay one yuan

That’s one of the strange things in Wuhan

Maybe you will find many other strange things there

I do believe it will be much cheaper than living in Beijing

Most of the buses are non-air conditioned

So it’s very bitter to go out by bus in the summer time

• 1 month later...
Most of the buses are non-air conditioned

So it’s very bitter to go out by bus in the summer time

realy? I'm a native wuhanese and I didnt know that!

Why I always difficult to find a non-air conditioned bus??

The taxi fee also little bit different, 3 yuan for first 1km, and every additionaly km will cost 1.2( or 1.4) yuan.

But in fact no one would carry two Jiao so everyone pay one yuan

darn it... guess you can spot the foreigner then counting out the 分 as if being 6 foot and 220 pounds wasnt a dead give away... ok 225... I HAVE started at the gym again...