Chinese-Forums

China Indefinite Leave to Remain

taijidan

Theoretically it's possible to get a D visa. I've never heard of anyone actually having one of these though. The page above doesn't mention the requirements for getting one of these, but I seem to remember it being something like having lived 5 continuous years in China since being married.

Edit: see also the bottom of this page.

if you are going for permanent resident (D), you are typically going to have to renounce citizenship in your home country depending on where you come from. In the USA here at least, dual citizenship is not permitted by choice according to what I read on govt, website. (typically it only occurs due to overseas birth and such).

if you are going for permanent resident (D), you are typically going to have to renounce citizenship in your home country depending on where you come from. In the USA here at least, dual citizenship is not permitted by choice according to what I read on govt, website. (typically it only occurs due to overseas birth and such).

I don't think so. The 'D' visa isn't a change of citizenship. As far as I understand, you can never become a citizen of china, only get leave to stay here. So you never loose your original citizenship.

This is different form children with Chinese parentage who then come back to china must choose either the nationality of birth or of parentage but not both.

My friends who have Chinese wives have simply taken their marriage certificates and passports to the Police station every year and recieved and extension Visa.

One friend was just on a 2 month tourist visa and had to go very often. Now after about 2 years of going every 2 months or so, he has received a 10 year visa extension. It is multiple entry so you don't have to worry about going to the US and coming back or not.

I have heard that you have to have been married and living in China for 5 years to get this long-term visa.

Though I have seen a CCTV9 show about some people having a green card. (like a driving license for those of you who have one. ) These are used like a chinese passport , where they note down the number but don't give you a stamp for coming back.

Rich people who have started a company or are CEOs of Companies were also given these "green cards" I think.

Good luck,

Simon:)

I believe the green cards are permanent residence documents - my children each have one, since they do not get the diplomatic "red" cards that my wife and I do. Of course, it doesn't mean that my kids can indefinitely stay in China - only as long as my job keeps us here. But the government seems to use the green cards for this role, too.

According to the Law and regulation of China Nationality:

Foreigners or persons who havn't any nationalality, if they are willing to comply with the China laws and regulations,and have one of the following qualifications,can apply for the China nationality(becoming a true chinese citizen):

1.Relatives of Chinese citizens

2.Already settled down in China

3.For other legitimate reasons

To obtain or resume China Nationality, one must submit an application to the :

1. Police Sation(city/county level) - those who are in China already

2.China embassy or consulate -those who are in out of China

Futher to the above, all the applications will be disposed by the Police Department under the central government. If your application is approved. They will issue a certificate, then you become a true chinese citizen.

Hi super,

I think though China doesn't let you have dual citizenship , and people would have to renounce their US or European citizenship to get Chinese citizenship.

They evacuated the Chinese people from the solomon islands fairly fast during the coup that happenned a very months ago.

What would be the benefits of Chinese citzenship ? The don't have a jury system here. That's good. Even Japan is starting to enact that system.

Chinese people pay higher taxes I think than other citizens..

Other benefits?

Have fun,

SimoN:)

Hi Simon, you really hit the point: China doesn't let you have dual citizenship , and people would have to renounce their US or European citizenship to get Chinese citizenship.

If one thinks it is useless to get a Chinese citizenship,then he/she can choose to keep his/her origin citizenship, if he/she likes, He/she can apply for a long-term residence in China. This is much easier.

[The world is not perfect,so is China, I DO NOT deny. The truth what I will never deny is that China is changing better and better, comparing Now to Before. There is still a long way for Chinese to go, we will keep moving.]