Chinese-Forums

Has anyone on this forum studied/is studying at Shandong University 山东大学 in Jinan?

Xi'Er Dun

Has anyone on this forum studied or is studying at Shandong University 山东大学 in Jinan, Shandong?

I ask this question as I am interested in the quality of facilities like shared rooms other basic essentials in the the Accomodation Building for Foreign Students 留学生. Is there a heating system in Winter and are bathrooms shared to a block, would the bathrooms have a running hot water system? And does anyone know exactly how cold it gets in Shandong over December and January, I heard that it will be around -5ºC (minus five degrees celsius) during the day which us Australians think is frigid, compared to about a seering 40ºC (forty degrees celsius) in the summer back here at home in Australia.

My reason for all of these precise questions, I am planning to study at University this December and January as part of a University run intensive Mandarin Study Tour.

By the way, will 5 weeks intensive Chinese (Mandarin) study (immersed) in a Chinese speaking environment make me fluent,because by December I will have completed 1 year of Chinese study at home here in Australia at University level, I already speak a significant amount of Mandarin, I have the 4(5) tones down as far as speaking at a reasonably fast rate.

My goal of studying in China is too achieve fluency.

If someone could answer these questions for me that would be great.

Thankyou

谢谢您

Xi ' Er Dun 希尔顿 from 澳州 Australia

Hi, 希尔顿

I hadn't studied in Shandong University, but many of my senior classmates studied there; I asked one of them, here is my anwsers to your questions:

Q:Is there a heating system in Winter and are bathrooms shared to a block, would the bathrooms have a running hot water system?

A: There is a heating system and the bathrooms have a running hot water system. The bathrooms are shared to a block-for us chinese students,this is yes, for foreign students, everything might be better.'cause my friends had never been that close to Foreigh students, they are not quite familiar with the living conditions of them.Excume me if I can not give more precise description.

Q:And does anyone know exactly how cold it gets in Shandong over December and January, I heard that it will be around -5ºC (minus five degrees celsius) during the day..

A: It can be that cold; but might be colder,the temperature may reach -10ºC or so.

If you want to achieve fluency in China, my advice is to make some chinese as soon as you could and study and play with them. If you do not hold every chance to practice, it will be hard for you to achieve your goal. What are your hobbies? Find those who have quite a lot in common with you and communicate with them.

If you like, you can call me when you in Jinan,hehe, I can talk with you in Chinese on the phone, it won't cost much -'cause I currently live in Qingdao(Tsingtao)-a city of Shanodng which is not quite far from Jinan. :-)

For more information,you can visit the webiste of Shandong University:

http://www.sdu.edu.cn/english05

Anyhow, wish everying goes well with you.

建敏,From 青岛

• Like 1