Chinese-Forums

Lotus: The best language program in China

jiangshipei

I've seen a few posts asking for a good, authentic and effective language program, so I decided to post my expereince with the best program out there.

If anyone is interested in studying Chinese, and getting the most out of your experience and money, I recommend Lotus without reservation. I've spent about a year in China, 3 months with Lotus in Beijing, 4 months with CIEE in Nanjing and about 4 months traveling on my own.

Of all the programs I have encountered Lotus is far and beyond the best out there- both in quality and cost. The program and support provided by Lotus and its administrators completely tailors itself to you as an individual student.

The program itself is really 3 parts- homestay, tutoring and classes at BLCU. As a whole this creates an enviornment of complete immersion, which is essential to learning the language. Furthermore, since the program is in Beijing you don't get bogged down with local dialects, which can really hinder learning standard Mandarin (ie my experience in Nanjing...)

Perhaps the most remarkable aspect of Lotus's program is that I still keep in touch with both my family and Lotus. When I returned to travel in China I was welcomed back by Lotus, who also helped me arrange a trip to teach at a Tibetan orphanage (another amazing program put on by Lotus.) Lotus puts on charity and volunteer programs throughout the year, yet another reason why Lotus stand out compared to other programs.

There are many fake programs and bad deals out there for those trying to navigate language study in China. I was lucky that I found Lotus, an organization that really cares about its students and is dedicated to sharing China's language and culture.

Their website: http://www.lotusstudy.com/about.html

As you are aware, having posted on it only five minutes before starting this thread, there is already a thread about Lotus. Why start a new one?

It is interesting that your only two posts on this board are blatant adverts for this school, making ridiculous claims such as that it offers "The best language program in China". How would you know that? Tried them all, have you?

Oh!

No!

You've tried two.

"3 months with Lotus in Beijing, 4 months with CIEE in Nanjing"

Overwhelming experience! I'm going to have to lie down.

As far as I can see (and I've looked) this is legit. It's unusual but not unknown for people to sign up just to recommend a service they've used, and when there's no evidence to the contrary ('I'm an Englishman" from someone called Michelle, or "Have you heard about the great service from BouncyHappyChina?" from info@bouncyhappychina.com) I'd prefer to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Hahaha, I think the enthusiasm and certainty that exudes from the post does give pause to most critical thinking readers but like roddy said, it could just be some guy who was immensely satisfied and wanted to help spread the word. Are the odds high? No, but who knows!

I do think that a program that can provide such a comprehensive service with so many facets could eek out a niche amongst the many competitors and scamjobs already in existence. Marketing will be key, however. I noticed Lotus is based in Northern California. In fact, I know exactly where that address is. I wouldn't put it above them to be an outfit that truly understands and then delivers the service and responsibility Westerners expect that local outfits may not care for.