Chinese-Forums

Help On Translating Picture

davechan12

• 2 weeks later...

While I don't like tattooing too, I think if you really want to make one on your body, Night Wind is quite a good one... just my opinion.

The meaning maybe philosophical or subtle, but 晚風 gave me a view of serene sky, peaceful and calm.

I think 晚风 sounds more masculine and forboding than 夜风. If you're going to get a tattoo, I think 晚风 is actually a relatively good thing to tattoo on yourself. It's better than 女儿 ("daughter"), which believe it or not, I once saw a MAN had tattooed on his neck. :lol::shock: (Maybe the tattoo artist was playing a joke on him?)

But then, I am not a native speaker of Chinese, so I suggest you consult with several native speakers and ask them what they think about your proposed tattoo design before you get it.

Anyway, I think tattooing yourself is kind of dumb, because you're inevitably going to regret it in 20 years when it's no longer fashionable to have Chinese characters tattooed on yourself. I wouldn't tattoo myself with anything, neither Chinese nor English.

hey guys really appreciate the feedback and thanx for lookin out for me, however, i will still get it tatted no matter what... and lookin 20 yrs into the future i probably wont care what the hell my body looks like... just more about doin it now and NOT regrettin it later in the future.. ill b ok but thanx to all who replied....

Yèfēng sounds worse indeed.

The fourth tone of Ye (yè) interrupted the peaceful concept, it seems to me a yell in the silent night. Yè is a shout.

The third tone in Wănfēng, contributes to a mind picture of serenity.

Definitely Wănfēng 晚風 is better, much better.

For a tonal language, consider the rhythm of the tones whenever you make a tattoo.

晚風 is better.

It reminds me of a Canto pop song, which goes "The night wind is like a dream, flowing slowly" (晚風像夢, 在悠悠流動 ...)

But I don't like tattoos. Sorry.