Chinese-Forums

New quality Chinese fiction

Kristyx

I'm in China at the moment and am looking to pick up a couple of fiction titles, preferably published this year, that haven't been translated into English. I don't want a throwaway read, I want something of quality, but not particularly high literature. The English language books I like are authors such as Ha Jin, Yiyun Li, Jodi Picoult... All entertaining reads, but also well written.

So, does anybody have any suggestions? And if so would it be possible for you to list author and title in Chinese?

Thanks.

I've noticed some bookstores can vary widely in the amount and type of fiction they carry. The big bookstore in Xi'an is mostly classics, whereas the new one in Urumqi is chock full of all sorts of modern fiction. As well as lots of Orhan Pamuk novels in Chinese translation, for some reason.

whereas the new one in Urumqi is chock full of all sorts of modern fiction. As well as lots of Orphan Pamuk novels in Chinese translation, for some reason.

That might be because Uighurs in Xinjiang culturally are cousins of the Turks. I've been told that that the two languages are so close that Uighurs and Turks can understand each other's language without any formal study. Another reason is that Orphan Pamuk won the Nobel Prize recently, of course.

• 2 weeks later...