Chinese-Forums

Are Lotus Homestay families all genuine?

Chinese Learner

Hi,

I'm going to Beijing soon and wanted to get a homestay for 4 weeks. I have looked at all the listings regarding Lotus and all of them seem very good, so I'm fairly confident.

But now my family is worried because their Beijing friends have told them loads of horror stories about how many unscrupulous people there are in Beijing.

They're worried I might get blackmailed or kidnapped!!!!!!!

I don't know whether to laugh or take this seriously.

So I told them I would investigate further!!!

Are Lotus's families definitely safe?

Thanks for the info!!

I think you should contact Lotus and express your concerns. Given that Lotus seems to have operations based in the States, I'm sure they would actually understand your concerns and be able to give you the proper assurances. You could even ask them "what if, what if, what if" questions to test how good their customer service is. Asking those questions in China might get you laughed off and even then you'd still risk getting screwed. Best to ask before you commit than after. Good luck.

I don't know whether to laugh or take this seriously.

Laugh. There's a particular brand of Beijing folk (and probably everywhere, I suppose) who are convinced that stepping outside of the fourth ring road (or third to the south, for there there be tygers), talking to strangers or getting slightly dampened by the rain, will result in instant death or long term disability.

If you want to do something to reassure them email Lotus and ask what they do to check out their families, or specify you'd like to be with a family that has hosted in the past. Don't mention kidnapping fears though, as then they'd be entirely justified in writing you off as a paranoid fool and ignoring any future customer services issues.

Oh, and what exactly would they be blackmailing you with?

:)

LOL

Yeah, I think I know the type of people you are talking about!

I have emailed Lotus to ask just those questions. To be honest there are so many good postings on this forum regarding Lotus, that I'm not particularly worried anymore, after having thought about it for a bit.

But like you say I had to send the email just to reassure my family.

I'm waiting for a reply.

BTW As for your last question...I have no idea! Of course...I always knew those dodgy things I did in the past would come back to haunt me!

What do Beijing people usually blackmail with?:wink:

Thanks!