Chinese-Forums

Medicine for heat rash

Kristyx

Does anybody know a good medicine for heat rash? It's driving me crazy! I've got an angry itchy red rash on my legs, which I'm pretty sure is heat rash (I've come from a cold country to a hot and humid Southern China where all I do is sweat-yuk! And I know it's not bites because I have a few bites on my arm which is different) My English friends suggest things like E45 but of course that isn't sold here! My Chinese isn't good enough to explain heat rash in the Watsons Pharmacy (the only Pharmacy I've found- which is an hour away by bus.)

Any ideas??

Doesn't heat rash require baby powder instead of baby lotion? Try going to a pharmacy, show them the rash, and explain that you're from a cold place and the rash is caused by the heat and humidity (if you know the basic words like "hot, cold, wet, dry," etc.). Better yet, get a Chinese friend to help you out! Good luck!

I had a similar problem this summer. I found that the Johnsons baby powder for prickly heat worked well. You can also get similar Chinese brand powders if you're a long way from Watsons, most will say "prickly heat" in English on them; the Chinese for prickly heat powder seems to be 热痱粉 (re fei fen) judging from the box.

Thanks guys. I had no idea what to use, I just guessed at lotion Now that you say it, it kind of makes sense that it would be powder instead!! :) Thanks I've stopped scratching (even though it still itches like hell) but it's getting worse, probably due to the fact that I've been using lotion haha

Often the damp sweaty areas can get a rash. Using powder can relieve it a bit but if it continues it might be that you have a little bit of a fungal or bacterial infection. It's something similar to athletes foot though not exactly the same. Usually washing and keeping the sweatiness away will let you overcome the problem.

When you are in your house, take off your shirt or trousers to let the fresh air in at the infected area and let it dry. Wash your clothes regularly as the bacteria can be living on your sweat soaked trousers and re-infect you. Wash yourself regularly, get into a shower every day and wash the infected area with soap before applying any powders.

If the problem persists, try using antibacterial soaps like used for acne (you'll find them in the supermarket next to the regular soap but with a picture of a spotty person on the front) or else look in Watson's for foot powder which will contain anti-fungal agents. You'll find foot powder next to corn plasters and other foot related items. These aren't exactly designed for the purpose, but they have worked for me.

The problem is only on my legs. I THINK it's heat rash as it's very humid here, I always wear long trousers and am contantly sweating (summer in my country this year was 17degrees--so it's a shock to the system to come to these temperatures) Also, I've been using moisturising lotion and it's got worse. (I didn't even think about the fact that that would keep the skin wet)

I tried to see a doctor today but they wouldn't see me because it's s skin problem (?)

So, I've bought some powder (yes, it has prickly heat written on it in English) and will try that.

I'm not sure if my room mate will appreciate the walking around without trousers (grin) but I could stay in my room haha

Thanks for all the advice-I've learned a lot. :) It's much appreciated

Yes, the rash started out looking like chicken pox but then some of the spots would get too close to each other and join to make a large area covered with the rash. I saw a doctor today (because it itches a lot and seemed to be getting worse) who said it's an allergy and gave me some medication (tablets and cream). If your husband has the same thing, he's probably better getting a prescription (?)

Thanks for the advice. :)

ahh yes, feizi...apparently it is very common, even fan bing bing said she was suffering from this during her filming in the south....

You definitely have to be careful because a combination of sweat, dirt, and heat can do something awful to your skin here...I think Rincewind gave a nice overveiw of what to do and general precautions.

(note to those traveling to china, bring skin care products with you if you have sensitive skin)

Also, I don't know about other people's restroom configurations, but once I moved out of the dorms shower facilities and water pressure has been crap, so you really need to make sure you get one of those foot washing pans and frequently exfoliate, scrub, etc..make sure your pores are clear and free from dead skin, and other gunk in general. If you have a bad rash now I wouldn' recommend anything vigorous that would further irritate your skin however.

you may want to search

痱子的治疗

and this article gives some info and talks about hualushui not being effective http://www.511511.com/A1/200506/A1000014720050623010339015.shtml