Chinese-Forums

English-Chinese dictionary with pinyin shown in translation?

andersh82

I'm looking for an English-Chinese (or C-E/E-C) dictionary with pinyin shown in the E-C translation. I've been studying Chinese for one year and are looking for a fairly extensive one. My search have so far been fruitless, as all dictionaries I have found here in China are made for Chinese users.

Thanks for your replies

Where are you?

Naturally, most Chinese bookstores cater for Chinese people looking for dictionaries.

If you go to the foreign language bookshops in larger cities which have a sizeable foreign population (Beijing, Shanghai etc.) you will find the dictionaries you need.

I usually recommend this one. I bought my copy in Shanghai.

51QBFPQW1KL._AA240_.jpg

See this thread.

You could also look at this - it's been ages since I've looked at it but it used to have lots of pinyin in the entries which was invaluable. It's small and you'll outgrow it, but I got a lot of use out of mine. this is the overseas version, and you can check out the entries with Amazon's see inside thing. Might be a different edition, but should be close enough.