Chinese-Forums

鬼佬/Ghosts- film about the Morecambe Bay tragedy

rose~

Did anybody else seen this film about the drowning of the Chinese cockle pickers in Morecambe Bay on UK television last week, or at the cinema?

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/film/film-23334159-details/Ghosts/filmReview.do?reviewId=23381307

Before I was really sceptical about watching this film but actually I found it to be a really moving portrayal of those events, and

at the end I was shocked when it was revealed that Ai Qin was not a professional actress, and was in fact playing herself.

The majority of the dialogue was in Mandarin so I posted in this section even though it's an English film.

Reality easily could have been distorted for dramatic effect, perhaps by exaggerating the reasons they left China in the first place or by giving a biased account, but instead there was a tone of heavy realism, right down to the grim post-war council houses and racist abuse from the local community.

It's already three years since the Morecambe Bay tragedy and I was in England at the time. I don't know why, but from the Chinese students around me I heard not a small amount of people say the cockle-pickers were to blame themselves for sneaking in illegally.I think the fact that the Director chose to shoot this as film rather than a documentary means we can see the emotional story behind the headlines, I hope it had the same impact for the general audience as it did for me anyway. If anyone else has seen this, I am interested in what others made of this film :)

• 2 weeks later...