Chinese-Forums

need help for buying electronic bicyle.

zozzen

Hi, I'd like to buy an electronic bicycle during my travel in China, but have no ideas what to see and check when buying it. The bicycle is mainly used around my school. After that, i will sell it.

Do you know...

- any reliable brand name?

- price range?

- any functions or components that should be equiped?

I've heard that some battery can be self-charged by manually riding on the bicycle, did anyone use a model like this?

Thanks in advance!

haha, exactly! Do not buy an electric death bike. It's not worth it, they're all poorly made and the battery life wears out after only a month or so.

There are no good brands. Just buy a normal pedal-style non-electric bicycle from Giant and you'll be healthy, happy and alive.

Note: I bought one a few years ago and had many near-death experiences.

I am keep wondering when the government will wake up and outlaw these things. Or at least just add a license law. They are the most dangerous things on the road. I can't believe how many people think they are a god-send. Avoid like the plague!

I remember a few years ago reading that Beijing was planning to outlaw them on the basis that they were making a mess of the traffic - too fast for the bike lane, too slow for the big boys lane. It never happened though, and there are probably too many of them now to do anything about it.

huh? too slow for the big boys lane? you're kidding, right? they're definitely faster than

the 'ol-nag-drawn converted tractor bed taxis, and the fruit venders waddling down the

center lane with push carts, and the 3-wheel bikes loaded down with little fishies in

aquariums - none of which would ever consider using the bike lanes.

they of course realize bike lanes are intended for walking dogs, reading newspapers,

waiting for busses, dumping construction materials, and setting up grilled doufu stalls.

Just thought I'd give some more practical advice than "don't".

The bikes that you can peddle to charge them up should be avoided. You don't get anything for nothing. The power that you get out when cruising was put in by you in the first place. You might as well by a peddle bike and save carrying to big heavy batteries.

I have a friend in Anshan who has an electric bike on the moped style. He says it's rated to do 50km on each charge but in reality he is a big fat Canadian and so only gets 30km. It takes him 8 hours to charge the battery. Usually overnight. The only problem he has had in the last year was when he left the cover off the battery overnight and it rained. He paid 3000 yuan new for his bike. If you need a longer range, look at getting a petrol moped.

As for going to fast for the bike lane, you don't need to go fast. The idea is to go easily and without sweat. If you want to go fast buy a proper motorbike.

it really depends on where you stay. in busy cities like beijing or shenzhen i d avoid risking my life but in rural areas with lots of slopes that can be necessary. many locals in dengfeng, a small city in henan province recommend me to buy a self charged model but they obviously had no experience of using it. my concern is the battery of these bicycles may not work in winter.