Chinese-Forums

Changing tourst visa to work visa.

Emily31

Hi!

Was wondering if anyone could tell me if it's possible to change a tourist visa to a work visa once you are in China? If I were to go out on a tourist visa and then secure a job out there, would I have to return to the UK (or at least leave the country) to change the visa, or can the change be made in China?

Many thanks!

Refer to this thread: http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/topic/14399-switching-a-tourist-visa-to-z-visa-without-leaving-china

It is possible to sort out the paperwork within china sometimes but you can't guarantee it. You're not changing visa, you are getting a residency permit on a tourist visa. You can come, look for work on the tourist visa, then ask the school to sort out the documents if they can.

The worst scenario for you as a Brit is that you'll have to take a short holiday to Hong Kong where you'll be able to apply for the correct visa with the correct paperwork and re-enter.

Be very wary of starting work on the "promise" that the school will sort your visa. It's very tempting for the school to persuade you to work illegally on the tourist visa so they don't have to pay for all the bureaucracy. Make sure the school runs things by the book.

Changing a tourist visa to a teaching work visa is piece of cake. you should NOT have to leave the country. Look out for regional variants to this rule tho - however in Jan this year i arrived on a tourist V in jiangsu and changed to a teaching visa with out having to do anything more than give my details to the school. (of course, u gotta make sure your school can sponsor foreign teachers - if it cant change to one that can, its not worth the hassle otherwise)

In fact it is technically illegal to come on a tourist visa and then change over, which is why i say look out for the regional variation, but it is what EVERYone does - because it provides a much better level of control.

Changing from tourist to business visa however is a whole new kettle of fish.....

Rincewind (cool name!) is right (also right with his advice re: school) - no need to go back to the UK, hong kong is fine should you suddenly need to evidence leaving and reentering the country - but hey, take a weekend to go bet on a GG in Macao - much more fun.

cheers,

Funny cos Macao Jockey club is one of the largest private employers in Macao. Racing every tuesday and saturday at Taipa island, Macao. 18,000 seats even.

mate, this forum is in genuine response to a question about working visas, if what i say regarding that is incorrect by all means interject but otherwise leave off with the one-upmanship stuff eh?