Chinese-Forums

Historical Vietnamese Phonology? / Japanese pre-War newspaper articles?

Xi'Er Dun

Are there any online sources with information of Historical Vietnamese Phonology, ie. there must have been proto-Vietnamese/archaic-Vietnamese/old-Vietnamese,/Ancient Vietnamese/Middle Vietnamese and pre-Modern Vietnamese languages surely.

One book on Chinese Linguistics, mentions the Vietnamese Language in a chapter about Sino-Vietnamese borrowings, and states that the Vietnamese Language had initial consonant combinations like Thai as late as the arrival of the first Jesuits in the 1500's, and so suggests that the Vietnamese Language is not Austro-Asiatic after all but closer to Thai, Hmong, Miao and other Hill Tribe languages. If Alexandre de Rhodes designed the first orthography for Quốc Ngữ to write Vietnamese, then wouldn't the writing system show some reference to historical Vietnamese pronunciation, unless these have been updated since in orthographic reforms?

This is still all in debate of course.

Something unrelated to the topic, but want to get help with from this forum, I have tried searching the internet for literally hours looking for Historical Japanese Newspaper Articles, those from the pre-war eras like the Meiji 明治, Taishō 太正 and Shōwa 昭和 up until 1945.

So I am looking for an online archive collection of *scanned* newspaper articles by Japanese newspapers dating from 1868 at the very earliest up until strictly 1945 at the latest. I particularly request scanned articles a I have found the electronic ones, if they are from historical publications use some Kanji 漢字 that are not included JIS or EUC charatcer sets and so show code glitches where ther are meant to be, so I think directly scanned publications are the way to go. like to read Japanese publications that present pre-War Kanji 漢字usage like the Kyūjitai 舊字體 [like 國 for 国, 讀 for 読, etc.] and pre-War Kana 仮名 orthography Rekishi Teki Kana Zukai 歴史仮名圖解 [like くわう for こう, ゑぞ for えぞ, etc.].

I know that hardly anyone relies to any of my other posts for reasons I can imagine, but if someone can link me through to sources with information that I would like on the two major topics of this post, then that would be great.

希爾頓從

感恩伴

cảm ơn bạn

如何も有り難う御座い升

Something unrelated to the topic, but want to get help with from this forum, I have tried searching the internet for literally hours looking for Historical Japanese Newspaper Articles, those from the pre-war eras like the Meiji 明治, Taishō 太正 and Shōwa 昭和 up until 1945.

So I am looking for an online archive collection of *scanned* newspaper articles by Japanese newspapers dating from 1868 at the very earliest up until strictly 1945 at the latest.

Are you looking for something like this:

http://www.lib.kobe-u.ac.jp/directory/sinbun/

or like this:

http://www.um.u-tokyo.ac.jp/cgi-bin/umdb/newspaper1000?s=1&c=25&title=&place=&publisher=&gengo1=&year1=&gengo2=&year2=&note=ℑ=

I must have misunderstood your original request because these are some results of a 2 sec Google search, as opposed to 'literally hours'... It surely can't be that simple?!

I must admit that I have followed your earlier posts with polite amusement... The breadth of your interests is truly astonishing. Care to elaborate on the extent to which you have mastered the modern spoken Japanese and Chinese?

• 7 months later...