Chinese-Forums

MA in Chinese vs HSK Advanced

Horse

I've been looking at going back to my home country (UK) to study for an MA in Chinese studies. I'm expecting to get level 8 in the HSK this November and I'm just wondering if forking out something like 10,000 pounds /$ 20, 000 for an MA is actually worth it rather than just cracking on studying in China and hopefully getting a good score in the advanced in a year's time. Does anyone know the relative merits of HSK as opposed to an MA, especially in the job market in China, ie; how it is viewed by employers etc?? any comment gratefully received.

Horse

What is your Bachelor's in? What kind of work are you looking to do?

Just as first impression, I don't think an MA in Chinese is worthwhile if your only goal is to improve your Chinese. You are better off studying Chinese in China. If you were doing the MA because you have a special academic interest -- Chinese literature, for instance -- then maybe it'd be worth it.

I agree with Gato...

It really does depend on what you want to do and if you want to teach Chinese in the UK then the master's is a necessity. However if it is just for fun or because you plan on living in China then getting a high score on the advanced is well worth it.

On the employability issue, I'd look at what's actually contained in the MA course. I can't see Chinese language and literature being that favorably looked upon, but if you're covering Chinese business law, etc, you'd be more likely to get your foot in some doors. In fact if it's just an employability thing, you might be better off doing an MA is whatever field you are interested in, regardless of applicability to China.

If you end up doing an MA course with a decent amount of Chinese language content I can't see any reason why you couldn't do both - get the MA and the extra language skills should get you through the HSK Advanced as well.

An MA is generally more than just language, it's also academic skills, finding and analyzing information, writing. As such I'd say it's always worth more than an HSK, in terms of skills you learn. On the other hand, your Chinese would probably be better from a year studying hard in China than from a year in any MA program.

I've never looked for work in China, but my fear, also for myself, is that no-one there is going to hire me for my Chinese skills, for the simple reason that there are about a billion people available with better Chinese than me. So I believe they would want people like us for the things we can do besides our Chinese skills.

Either way, good luck!

I've never looked for work in China, but my fear, also for myself, is that no-one there is going to hire me for my Chinese skills, for the simple reason that there are about a billion people available with better Chinese than me.

They won't hire you FOR your Chinese skills but having those skills will definitely give you a better opportunity in the workplace (depending on the job) as certain employers will see it as a good thing and you will have less obstacles in communicating.

Now obviously this doesn't apply to English teaching but there are many companies that will at least be happier to have you or do business with you if you can speak the language.

Basically, it won't get you a job but it sure won't hurt either!

Thanks peeps, some constructive some there.

The MA course I'm looking at is basically about 45% language skills and the rest is related to the political economy of China and China's politics and development. The sort of work I'm looking for is possibly working for institutions engaged in cultural exchange like the British Council, or any other field where I can use use my Chinese skills to a productive end. I have been offered jobs selling drill bits in the oil industry and exporting glass etc. but i am looking to find something slightly more philanthropic.