Chinese-Forums

Private Tour Guide - Advise

sthubbar

My family is coming into Beijing this Thursday. In total there will be seven people touring around China, including myself and my sister's two children 10 & 12 years old.

Since this group will be too big to fit in a taxi, I'm thinking about trying to rent a small bus. I'm also thinking about trying to hook up with an English speaking guide that can take them around to some sights.

My family really wants their independence, so they are not much interested in an organized function. I'm just thinking of some local tour guide that knows the sights and my family can on the spur of the moment decide to go to the Forbidden City and this person already has some history and stories to tell them.

I was quoted a price of 2000 RMB per day for the bus and 500 RMB per day for the tour guide. Has anyone done somthing like this before and would know anything about this?

2000 a day seems a bit steep for hiring a bus. I've only hired cars before, and not in Beijing and it was around 200-300 per day. I wouldn't have thought the difference in price would be that large, although I guess it depends on how big the bus is.

I also think that 2,000 a day is way too much, considering that is an average Chinese worker's monthly salary. Anyway, you don't need a bus for only 7 people. You should be able to find someone with a mini-van that would be willing to drive you around. 200-300 rmb a day sounds reasonable to me.

My fiancé is a professional tour guide, maybe she can help you.

Mobile: 136 8339 5652

Email: wind2046 [at.] hotmail.com

Her name is Sally.

You should be able to get a van, roomy enough for seven people for ¥600 a day.

I also have a personal recommendation for a tour guide:

Yan Cai

astoncai09279[at]gmail.com

We've been looking to hire some more personnel in Beijing for adex360 and he came as a personal recommendation from a good friend of mine (they're cousins). He's a young guy and has been working in the industry for quite some time, first handling inbound tours and now doing logistics for the travel company. He has great English, lots of experience, and seems to understand what Westerners expect in terms of service.

Nonetheless, be sure you explain clearly what your requirements and expectations are for his service as well as negotiate the fee. Do not pay everything up-front and this is true for whenever you're hiring a private guide rather than going through an organization.

If you decide to contact him, be sure to tell him that Kai, from Shanghai (and Tie Fei's friend), referred you. If you prefer, I can contact him first and pave the way for you also. Just let me know.

Do NOT pay 2000 RMB per day for a bus, unless it is six-star hotel presidential suite on wheels. Also, be sure to find out if they charge separately for gas, distance traveled, and drivers as these can mysteriously add to your final bill.

Best of luck and I hope you and your family have a great time in Beijing!

My family visited during the national day holiday. We booked with a private tour guide for a holiday in Guilin. It cost us $470USD for 7 days. Definitely worth the money. Good hotels, personal guide explaining everything, and a big 6 seater minibus style people carrier to drive us around. Be aware that the tour guide will sell you a few extras like concert tickets and addition attractions each day so you should budget an extra $15 per day for these.