Chinese-Forums

Character Frequency Analysis and Learning Site

sunlightatdusk

I've put together another frequency list of Chinese characters, taking into account the usual 100,000 Chinese web pages. This one has a bit of a twist, as it translated the characters first into Pinyin, so that specific character-pinyin pairs could then be tallied.

http://readmandarin.com/research.htm

If you dig around the site, you'll see it's aimed towards teaching people to read Chinese.

Any feedback on the research, or on the site itself would be greatly appreciated.

Also, can anyone explain to me the etymology behind 的? White spoon? I've looked in a number of books and haven't gotten anywhere, and I'd like to update it for the site.

Thank you!

Daniel

a bit confusing with the line beneath each character, but i suppose i could get used to it.

what is the relation between # seen and cumulative %?

"Sentences, phrases and paragraphs of over 50 characters were included."

can i assume only paragraphs required a minimum 50-character count?

what percentage of text was discarded due to too-short paragraphs?

"Duplicate phrases were discarded."

did phrases have to be an exact match, or of a certain length to qualify?

how many times was "build a harmonious countryside" discarded?

Toffeeliz:

I wasn't quite sure what you meant by the results being off. Please explain if you have a moment.

mr.stinky:

I've removed the lines under the characters so the page is easier to read.

Cumulative percentage gives you an idea as to how much of the text you would be able to recognize if you learned only a certain number of characters. The top 10 characters make up about 12.2% of the sampled text. The top 1000 characters make up about 90.3% of the sampled text.

Yes, paragraphs had to be 50 characters in length. The idea was that the program would take in text from actual articles, reviews and blogs. I'm not sure what % of lesser length text was discarded, but I suppose I could run the analysis and find out.

It was only duplicate paragraphs that were omitted. I've changed the description to reflect that.

Thanks for the great feedback!

Daniel

trevelyan:

That's a cool idea. Would you be looking for words of 2-3 characters in length? How would you determine where one word begins and the other ends? Or would you just look for adjacent characters that come up often?

If you message me your email address, I'll send the text to you as an attachment.

Daniel

• 2 weeks later...

Daniel:

Also, can anyone explain to me the etymology behind 的? White spoon?

"的 ...  

勺 ladle (→ pour out contents; make contents evident) + 白 (phon) white (→ color that stands out) → target; mark; objective → obvious; hit; -like."

source:http://www.kanjinetworks.com/

hope it inspires,

Ole

• 1 month later...
勺 ladle (→ pour out contents; make contents evident) + 白 (phon) white (→ color that stands out) → target; mark; objective → obvious; hit; -like."

I've read the opposite. the spoon was the phonetic and the white was meaning. At least according to ABC dictionary.

But I'm not a character guy.

I've read the opposite. the spoon was the phonetic and the white was meaning

See here. for a more detail regarding the origin of 的。