Chinese-Forums

For thoese interested: Getting a Tattoo in China

-葛亚辉-

I was studying in Harbin this summer, and got a tattoo of a Lu Xun quote while I was there. For those who are interested in getting a tattoo in China or just generally curious, I just posted it on my blog here:

http://sun-zoo.com/inharbin/

(the blog is also relevant to anyone thinking of studying at CET Harbin...it's not active at the moment but I'll use it again when I go back and the archives from this summer are pretty thorough, I think)

I got one in London but would like to get another (other shoulder) here in China... a nice Chinese dragon making its way from top of should to top of elbow I think... but will have to find a good tattooist either here in 武汉 or in 北京.

@ roddy....yeah, i guess aesthetically I'd prefer a briefer quote too, but this is really more about the meaning than the aesthetics (although I also think it looks great and all the chinese people who saw it before I left commented on how good the calligraphy was)

@ shadowdh...i bet you can find a good one in wuhan if you look around a bit. I was a little surprised to find one in Harbin, but I suppose he might have been there because there are enough russians there to sustain a tattoo business. Which I assume isn't the case in Wuhan, although I've never been.

Lu Xin's writing is influential, but does anyone feel that his writing has too many unnecessary words?

希望 是本无所谓有,无所谓无正如地上的路,其实地上本没有路,走的人多了,便成了路。

I'd write like this:

希望无所谓有,无所谓无。正如地上本没有路,走的人多了,便成了路。

hahahah...i actually like lu xuns better....just sounds better to me....i guess some of it is unnecessary but I think when you're worried about sound, flow, and maintaining a specific narrative voice, sometimes you have to say things the long way.

Yea, Chinese inkers do great precision work with Hanzi. I would definitely get any Hanzi done in China.

I don't know about artwork, because I've simply only seen Hanzi done. But, some of the best tattoo artwork is done in Japan...so I'm guessing China has a lot of potential there too.