Chinese-Forums

How to convey "You Rock"

xianu

So, here is a silly question, but I am wondering how you have conveyed "you ROCK" in Chinese? I have a bunch of nice little "standard bookish" things to say (tai hao le, feichang, bang, ..jile, etc), but I can't think of a term that might convey all that "you ROCK" (the student's upper case) in Chinese. Just wondering what kinds of things people might be saying for this.

There are different expressions to convey “you rock” in different places of China, so I couldn’t agree more with skylee that not all the expressions provided are understood by everyone. But the following ones I think can be commonly understandable to our Chinese.

A. 你真棒!OR 你太棒了!

B. 你真厉害!OR 你太厉害了!

C. 你真牛!OR 你太牛了!

Here “真” and “太” are an adverb, “真” means really, truly, or indeed. While “太” means very.

Where in Beijing, people like to use “牛逼” or “强” in their daily oral communications instead of “棒”, “厉害”, and “牛”.

These expressions can be used in a very informal occasion where to praise some one who is giving his or her friends a surprise as achieving something unusual or significant. But, “牛逼” is a hot phrase used by Beijing guys. It is impolite or kinds of rude for a guy to say “牛逼” to a girl.

I suspect not all the expressions provided are understood by everyone (well I haven't heard of "你盖了帽儿"). Am I right?

Yeah, most of these are 方言 :mrgreen:

盖了帽儿了 is 北京话

吊 is from 台湾

Would 棒 and 牛 be understood by most Mandarin speakers? Do they have 方言 origin?

Thanks for all the input. I was looking for something more with the flavor of "you rock" in the sense that it is somewhat youthful, very slangy, though not profane, and maybe a little fresher than 棒, and more slangy than 厲害. I had heard that 棒can be construed as profane by some (my experience is that it was always the older generation). I have never heard 牛 or 帽. Thanks!

"I was looking for something more with the flavor of "you rock" in the sense that it is somewhat youthful, very slangy, though not profane, and maybe a little fresher than 棒, and more slangy than 厲害. "

I think it can be "牛"。“你真牛!”“超牛!”