Chinese-Forums

chinese scroll

jesselindsay

This scroll is by Jiang Shi-Quan(蒋士铨,1725-1784),who is a famous calligrapher and dramatist of Qing dynasty.

The poem in the scroll is to sing the praises of Zhu Ge-Liang(诸葛亮, 181-234) who is a great politician in ancient time of China.

I'm afraid that there is something wrong in the scroll. according to the content of the scroll, this work was done in 嘉庆八年 which means the year 1803, when Jiang Shi-Quan had been dead for nearly twenty years.

Is it a counterfeit? I don't know.....

Oracle Bone is correct. Zhu-Ge Liang is a strategist, astrologist, statesman/politician, etc... from the Three Kingdoms period [Parts of China that were ruled by the three kingdoms: Wu, Shu [Han], and Wei] in China. Zhu-Ge is a rare double-character surname.

More here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zhuge_Liang

The third one is just a more detailed picture of the second one: It is the last line of the 3rd one, which is an essay? The first one is from the same person?

This essay/poem? was written on November 7, 1803 or the 23rd day of 9th month of Jiaqing's 8th year reign. It might be a copy of the original? http://www.sinica.edu.tw/ftms-bin/kiwi1/luso.sh?lstype=2&dyna=%B2M&king=%A4%AF%A9v&reign=%B9%C5%BCy&yy=8&ycanzi=%AC%D1%A5%E8&mm=9&dd=23&dcanzi=

The first one is not by the same person: my guess using graphology, or handwriting comparisons. It says "蔣心餘字橫" jiang3 xin1 yu2 zi4 heng2