Chinese-Forums

A pen that reads chinese?

mirgcire

I saw a picture in the local newspaper of a guy holding a cigar like thing over a book, and the caption said something like 'Chinese Ambassador XYZ presents a pen that reads chinese as a gift to someone important". Does anyone know of such a device? It sounds pretty cool. If it had an LED read out with pinyin and english, that would be spectacular.

I'm thinking that this kind of device would only stand to save someone a bit of time by providing them with character recognition, pinyin, and maybe a definition or two. But I'd still prefer to double check the characters manually in my 现代汉语词典:2002年增补本.

Whilst on that topic, does anyone know of a dictionary better than the aforementioned, for general purpose use?

As for the translation properties of the pen, I wouldn't be too excited, or worried (depending on your profession) as English/Chinese (vice-versa) translating technologies are still no match for humans.

But I'd still prefer to double check the characters manually in my 现代汉语词典:2002年增补本.

Whilst on that topic, does anyone know of a dictionary better than the aforementioned, for general purpose use?

Nope. That dictionary rocks. I have the same 2002 edition albeit it is now literally held together by tape.