Chinese-Forums

Meaning of "AA制"

Shadowdh

We always call it "go Dutch" here in England. I'm not sure whether it means "split the bill into equal parts" or "split the bill and pay for what you ate/drank". I think the former.

When I was working in Frankfurt (Germany), the locals always seemed to do the latter which meant the waitress had to go to each person to ask what they ate, take their credit card, take the money etc. It was always fun wondering what would happen after she'd been around the table and there was still some stuff left unpaid for.

Anyway, I heard "AA zhi" a couple of times when I was in Beijing, but it sounded like three first tones in a row, however 制 is fourth tone.

So ... why do they say "AA制"? I asked my teacher once and she had no idea, even though she knew what it means.

AA - How do you pronounce that? Is it "Ay" or "Ay Ay" or is it like sticking your tongue out for the dentist and saying "Ahh" ? Is there a character for it?

ps - I’ve never experienced anything remotely like that with my Chinese friends. Someone always pays for the table, and it’s usually a verbal if not a physical struggle to get your hands on the check. My understanding is that this competition to pay the bill is a Chinese cultural tradition.

Woo hoo, I am glad I got that right... one more off the list... about 10000 to go... :mrgreen: Thanks for the confirmation folks.

I'm with Adrian, well not "with" Adrian but you know what I mean :), In the UK and NZ we use it alot.

The pronunciation we have been using is AA (as in the sound of the letter A) zhi (in the pinyin)...

OK, I'm getting closer. According to this

http://baike.baidu.com/view/2930.htm

the AA is latin, meaning each/every. It then says it means "Algebraic Average" which is very non-latin. Can someone with better Mandarin skills than me read that page and post here if it offers a good explanation for what AA actually is and why it's made its way, untranslated, into Mandarin? It seems that whoever wrote that page is a bit confused (or, more likely, I didn't understand it very well).

The Baidu page adrian linked to gave several versions of AA's origin. The author said he asked the president of Beiwai about it once, and he said it stood for "Algebraic Average" (averaging the bill, that is). The second version supposedly is "Acting Appointment" based on historical practices of English merchants splitting the bill while having business meetings on the Continent. The third possibility is "All Apart" supposedly used in HK.

It also said that the phrase "to go Dutch" is due to a stereotype that the English have of the Dutch....

Hi Skylee, we (English speakers) dont use AA制 but we do use the term to go dutch... (please forgive me if I misunderstood your post regarding "(or else English speakers would be using this term instead of asking its meaning)."

It also said that the phrase "to go Dutch" is due to a stereotype that the English have of the Dutch....

but we do use the term to go dutch

No we don't.... I think this is a regional difference as I have never heard this term before I came to China and none of my friends have either. So it is not an English Language phrase but as earlier has been pointed out is used in England and NZ but I am still curious as to what this stereotype entails....

No we don't....

Yes we do, but then I guess that depends on the region as you say, and perhaps the language being spoken, I was referring to English use in the UK, NZ, Australia (although not as common here) and I have heard it used in the US and movies/programs from the US... it could also be that its a term more used in times gone by and not so common with the youth of today.. not that I am that old mind... :)

It's also called simply "AA" for short.

ps - I’ve never experienced anything remotely like that with my Chinese friends. Someone always pays for the table, and it’s usually a verbal if not a physical struggle to get your hands on the check. My understanding is that this competition to pay the bill is a Chinese cultural tradition.

The power-struggle to pay the bill could also be part of the face thing, I think. I know that some groups of close-knit friends like to always "AA" (though not always on the spot - sometimes one person will pay at the restaurant and everything gets settled at the end of the day/evening before everyone is about to go home), but it probably depends on the group.