Chinese-Forums

Anyone study at the Beijing Film Academy

jaydub

I am interested in regular mandarin instruction and figured that it might be cool to study at a place with relatively fewer foreigners and a student body interested in the arts.

The academy has regular short term language instruction so I'm okay there. I was wondering if anyone had experience with the school.

http://www.bfa.edu.cn/bfa_english/

-Jeff

• 3 months later...

Hmmm, I am a student there, and I think it's what you make of it. Some students complain that they don't learn enough, because the school is lax, so you have to be certain that you are motivated to study.

On the other hand, students like me enjoy it because we can go missing somewhere else in China and suffer no reprimand from the authorities, and thus end up a little more fluent in conversational chinese.

Note: The aforementioned authorities are not as helpful as they might be at other schools, but if you are at all self-sufficent, this should not be an issue.

Coursewise, the are decent and not to big (partially because we take time off to have fun...(*ahem*), and the teachers tend to be a little less educated in the formal teaching process and thus don't treat their students like children (at least in in the upper levels)