Chinese-Forums

Your opinion on this name

Stefani

• 2 weeks later...

If I just look at the words, it looks like I am looking at some revolutionary's name in the history book. However, 启仁 does sound like 气人. Although, 启 is 3rd tone and 气 is 4th tone. Also, it feels too proper and old fashioned. If you want to give that impression, keep it. If you want a name to sound more modern and cool, you might want to pick something else.

why you choose the famliy name as 黄?

because of the mother?

you know the name is end by 仁 in Chinese it like 人 黄?仁 makes the name sound like 某某人。so I think the name can be 黄正仁。in Chinese we say: 正人君子。

how about it?

why you choose the famliy name as 黄?

because of the mother?

Yes, I am his mother, and my Chinese last name is 黄. I am Chinese Indonesian (Yinni Huaqiao), but I don't speak Chinese (I am learning it now, but still very much a beginner).

Thank you for your suggestion, I will consider all the inputs given here.

What does 正人君子 mean? First month, person, nobleman?

Xie xie.

o I thought you were his father...hehe...

:-) That is OK. It is hard just from the username to tell whether someone is male or female at times.

I asked my son if he likes his Chinese name to be Huang Yiren instead because some people think that is a good name, and he protested :-) He likes Huang Qiren... so I guess we are not changing his Chinese name... I'll just have to make sure to get the tone right :-)

Yiren might be difficult to pronounce correctly for non-Chinese reading the Pinyin, as they will pronounce the "Y" (like in "yellow") instead of a silent y.

Thank you for all the inputs, duo xie.

Qiren probably won't be any easier

You are right Imron! I guess that is probably the case for a native English speaker. My Chinese Indonesian relatives will probably manage the sound of "qi" (not necessarily with the correct tone if they only see the Pinyin), but "yi" will definitely come out as "yee". My husband's relatives (Caucasians, native English speakers) will probably have problems with either one :-)

I need to learn to pronounce it correctly myself, too.

Personally, it bothers me when I hear "ee jian oo zi" 一间屋子, "eeng wen" 英文 or "a ee" 阿姨. It sounds like baby talk and 口齿不清 to me. But since I started watching Taiwan shows, I've become (not really) acquainted with these pronuncations.

I remember a debate with smithsgj ages ago on this topic. Since he lives in Taiwan, he could never agree with me that they are more often pronounced yee and woo (well not exactly, but you get the idea).

Yiren might be difficult to pronounce correctly for non-Chinese reading the Pinyin, as they will pronounce the "Y" (like in "yellow")
More than likely though, I would imagine a native english speaker's first attempt at pronouncing "yiren" would rhyme with "siren".

I asked my son if he likes his Chinese name to be Huang Yiren instead because some people think that is a good name, and he protested :-) He likes Huang Qiren
I was under the impression that your son was barely born and you were looking for a good name to give him... Well, I guess when he's old enough to disagree with a namechange he's already used to the name, and identifies with it, and then it's too late to change it. Anyway Huang Qiren is a fine name. As Skylee said earlier, normal and ordinary. No real need to change it.