Chinese-Forums

Living in Shenyang

venture160

I am looking at a few jobs in Shenyang, and while I have spent lots of time up in Dongbei, including 2 months in Dalian and 1 year in Harbin, I have only passed through Shenyang via train. Whats it like? Decent place to live? Number of westerners living there? What would 2500RMB a month get me for an apartment?

Thanks for the help!

I live in Anshan which is not far form Shenyang so I visit Shenyang quite frequently. It is not as clean and beautiful as Dalian. The old houses look quite shabby but are being replaced There is a load of building work going on just now. New high rises going up. Especially in the West and near the river side. Nor are there quite as many westerners as other cities. You will still see westerners quite regularly and there is an expat community but not so often that you can't avoid them if you wanted to. Shenyang does have good facilities. There are plenty large parks, good restaurants, large supermarkets, plus the usual nightlife. Whatever you need you can get there.

As for rent, your budget of 2500 will get you a big apartment. If you want something small, with just one or two rooms, you can probably half that budget. Life is quite cheap in Shenyang.