Chinese-Forums

ophthalmologist and/or dentist in Kunming?

wanderliz

I need glasses. This is a fairly new development, so I need an eye test because I don't know what prescription strength I need. Anyone had experience with this in Kunming? I've seen many eyeglass shops, but do they all perform tests as well or do I need to go to a proper dr.'s office? This is the first time I've ever needed an eye test and I don't even know what it entails, so I'm hesitant to just walk into any old shop. Hoping someone has had a good experience somewhere...?

Also wouldn't mind having my teeth cleaned. any recommendations for that?

Thanks!

got me a couple pair of glasses a few months ago. went to 同协眼镜 (tongxie glasses) at

东风东路115号, just south of 小西门, as it was recommended by a local. they did the

exam in the office, i assume most shops will. no charge for the exam. they speak no

english, but test was no problem; mostly is this one clearer than that one. there was no

"air puff" glaucoma test.

once they settle on the prescription, they load up a big 'ol appliance with lenses that they

ask you to wear for a bit, walk around the shop and on the street to confirm that it's

correct. did a good job, prescription was better than the one make in texas, as they

measured the diopters correctly.

prices on the frames do not include the lenses. they'll show you a glossy brochure where

you can select from a range of lense materials. i got the scratch resistant, light-weight,

uv-protected jobbies. glasses are completed within a week.

complete price for my eyeglasses was 680, and 760 for prescription sunglasses.

sorry, no info on dentists.

I have no experience in Kunming but I once was traveling in Jiling province in a rather poor city. I broke my glasses so was forced to get a new pair. The eye exam and glasses were both very good...my point, this place was much less traveled by westerners than Kunming so as long as the locals give the place a good recommendation it is probably safe to try...

UNLESS

you need bifocals. The pair that I had made in Beijing in the "Most famous" optometrist shop was barely adequate, I would give it a 6.5 on a scale from 1 to 10, with 10 being best. Astigmatism can also be a problem with some places. If you are worried you may want to go to two places and get an eye exam from both places and compare the prescription. Also there are usually eye exams available at hospitals but you will usually have to pay 15-20 rmb for them. Still it may be worthwhile to be able to get a comparison.

Now that you mention it...I spent about 120 rmb for the whole process in Beijing including the frames...so it can be done for cheap. The glasses were pretty good. I still have the frames but can't use them because they are too small for bifocals.

once they settle on the prescription, they load up a big 'ol appliance with lenses that they ask you to wear for a bit, walk around the shop and on the street to confirm that it's

correct. did a good job, prescription was better than the one make in texas, as they

measured the diopters correctly.

I'm way overdue for a new pair myself. Can you describe this "correct" method that they used?

not sure if i used the correct terminology.....but anyways they measure the distance between

pupils for placement of the horizontal/vertical center-of-focus for your glasses. (old man in the

back room rolls some pig bones, then eviscerates a chicken to read the entrails, i think)

the folks in odessa either measured wrong or made them wrong - focal point was off.

as to price, i admit i didn't spend much time looking at the cheap lines. those packages

were much less expensive, but didn't have the options i wanted.

not sure if i used the correct terminology.....but anyways they measure the distance between pupils for placement of the horizontal/vertical center-of-focus for your glasses

Oh ok, I thought you were referring to the procedure they used to determine your prescription. The pupil measurement is also very important.