Chinese-Forums

Chinese Flagship Programs

Qcash3

I was just thinking of an earlier post, where a poster was asking how he was going to keep up his Chinese studies in a western university setting, and I decided to put this information up here.

There are four universities in the US that offer a "Chinese Flagship" program. These programs are designed so that you can study whatever major you want, but all of the courses for that major are in Chinese. I am not sure if all four schools do this, but at least at the University of Oregon they require you to complete langauge training at their center in 青岛 the summer before you start the program. They then have you return to China, 南京, your junior year to study there. Each school's program differs slightly, so for specific information you would have to contact the schools. You may also apply for a full four year scholarship under the program, and that covers everything, even your junior year in China. I will be starting the flagship program at the University of Oregon in January, and it seems like a great way to keep your Chinese skills up and also study whatever else you are interested in. Here is a link to the Language Flagship Program website where they explain the programs alot more in depth than myself. I am sure that alot of people after they are finished studying in China want to find a way to continue their education in a western setting, but at the same time not suffer a loss of their Chinese proficiency. I don't know how many of the users of this forum are in the undergraduate age range, but it is some food for thought.

If anyone has any questions on the application process or anything at all, don't hesitate to ask.