Chinese-Forums

want better name than 儸伯特

shibole

Currently I'm using 石 as my surname and 儸伯特 or 羅伯特 as my given name.

I like 石 because it matches the meaning and vaguely matches the pronunciation of my real surname (despite the fact that my wife says it's also a given name used by country bumpkins), but I don't like 儸伯特 very much, partly because it's too long (in my opinion), but also because my wife tells me that luó is also girl's name (so I don't want to just go by "儸") and I don't really like the meaning of 伯特: "special uncle". Also I think that 羅伯特 or 罗伯特 is a pretty standard transliteration of "Robert" and isn't very unique.

Any suggestions on coming up with a better name? Should I just pick a random Chinese name that I like the same way that many Chinese English students pick a random western name to use?

Luckily I'm not in China or something with lots of people already calling me luóbótè so it doesn't seem too late to change it.

PS: and for the record I don't really like 裸伯特 or 蘿蔔特 either.

When I mentioned the 樂伯 idea to my wife she mentioned that there is a famous historical figure of some sort named 伯樂 who was known for being able to spot the best horses or something, leading to the expression "他是我的伯樂" meaning someone who is able to recognize your talent or something.

So now I'm wondering if maybe it's reasonable to use the given name 伯樂 or if that would seem too silly to people. The phonetic match to my real given name becomes even weaker but does that really matter?

Here is an article on bólè in English: http://everything2.com/index.pl?node=Chinese%20parables%20of%20the%20perfect%20horse

Thanks!

Just pick the name you like and ask for your wife's opinion. If she could tell you the story about 伯樂 then she is well qualified to get you a good name.

Regarding 伯樂 as a name, it is actually used by the CEO of a railway company in HK. His name is James Blake and his Chinese name is 詹伯樂.

Regarding 伯樂 as a name, it is actually used by the CEO of a railway company in HK. His name is James Blake and his Chinese name is 詹伯樂.

Thanks for the info Skylee!

My main fear was that using a name like 伯樂 would be like naming myself 孔子 or something. My wife didn't remember anything about 伯樂 except the expression "我的伯樂" and that he was known for judging horses so I thought I might do some more research.

I think I will use 石伯樂. Now I just need to create myself a new user account and carve myself a new name chop :)