Chinese-Forums

Translation: how to exchange name cards

Ole

不能像发扑克牌*一样发名片,每次只在两个人之间交换。

In the sentence above I don´t understand the second clause:

Don´t exchange your name card like playcards, and don´t exchange them whenever your are together with only another person.

or:

Don´t exchange your name card like playcards, and only exchange them whenever your are together with only another person.

any help?

thanks, Ole

不能像发扑克牌*一样发名片,每次只在两个人之间交换。

Please don’t exchange your business cards like dealing cards out. Please exchange the cards between only you two (or two persons) at a time.

Thanks!

I would interpret this as, when you have a table full of people, don't stand up and deal out your name cards to everyone in turn. Exchange cards with one person, exchange cards with the next person, etc. Something like:

Don't pass out your business cards like playing cards, exchange them with each person in turn.

That's still a bit ugly though.

Could you offer any decent reason?

We haven't earned your gratitude yet.

I would interpret this as, when you have a table full of people, don't stand up and deal out your name cards to everyone in turn. Exchange cards with one person, exchange cards with the next person, etc. Something like:

Don't pass out your business cards like playing cards, exchange them with each person in turn.

That's still a bit ugly though.

Hmm…. A real gentleman!

Thanks!

we really need to kill that term 'name card' now

name card or name placard (here ) is what you have sitting in front of you made outta cardboard at some lame event or something:mrgreen: (I'm visualizing a speed dating event or something of that sort) Maybe you will need to pass out business cards at such an event, but you will be exchanging your business cards, certainly not your name cards, unless ya'll happen to have the same name or they put your name card on the wrong table or something....unless of course people really say this..which I need to add to my list of english that i thought was completely wrong but really is valid english...somewhere

Yes, it's considered polite to make a big show of using both hands to hand over your name card.

It's actually a Japanese practice that's unfortunately spread to China. I think it's totally phoney and unnecessary. I thought it was pretentious until I realized that it was a show of politeness.

See

http://www.answers.com/meishi

The presenter holds the meishi ["business card"] out with both hands and introduces his/herself by affiliation, position and name. The card should be held at the top two corners using both hands, face up and turned so that it can be read by the person receiving the meishi. When receiving a meishi, one should hold it at the bottom two corners using both hands. Placing one's fingers over the name or other information is considered rude. Upon receiving the meishi, one is expected to read the card over, noting name and rank, then thank the presenter and bow. A received meishi should not be written on or placed in a pocket; it is considered proper to file the meishi at the rear of the leather case. When meishi are being exchanged between parties with different status, such as between the president of a company and someone in middle management, it is proper that the person of lower status extend his or her business card so that it goes under or is at a lower level than that of the person in a high position.

it is proper that the person of lower status extend his or her business card so that it goes under or is at a lower level than that of the person in a high position.
I knew this was how it worked for clinking beer glasses, I didn't realise it was the same for business cards too. Oh well, you learn something new everyday I guess.

So, gato, I've got a question for you : do you consider it "totally phoney and unnecessary" and "pretentious" to use both hands to pass/receive something to/from you when you are dining with your family or at the restaurant with other Chinese people?

Usually when I'm sitting across the table from someone, I would be perfectly happy that someone hands me his card with one hand by stretching across the table. Instead, under this silly practice, the person has to come around the table to hand his card with both hands. I see it at best as unnecessary. When it's just a robotic practice, without any true feeling of courtesy, then I think it's phoney. It's like when those Starbucks employees yell out 欢迎光临 at the top of their lung whenever someone comes in or out of the store. You can tell by their voice that they don't really mean it. It's just their job. It's a perversion of what true courtesy should be be.

do you consider it "totally phoney and unnecessary" and "pretentious" to use both hands to pass/receive something to/from you when you are dining with your family or at the restaurant with other Chinese people?

Is that actually considered good etiquette anywhere? Sounds bizarre to me (that's cultural differences for you :mrgreen:)