Chinese-Forums

how to make money with mandarin ?

beijingbooty

Whilst working incredibly hard learning chinese, my mind often drifts onto the subject of how to make money with this new found skill.

Apart from the obvious "translator" or "teacher" professions, can anyone offer any more interesting examples of how to make money being a westerner who can read & speak decent mandarin ?

Perhap some examples of people you know who have done well utilising their mandarin-as-a-second-langugage capabilities to follow interesting career paths ?

I do not want to become a teacher and working as a translator does not really excite me either.

Thanks guys for your input.

• 1 month later...

It depends on what other skills you have. Speaking Chinese as a second language is a skill, a Chinese boss of a computer firm may be impressed by your langugage skill even if you don't know how to use MySQL.

• 2 weeks later...
I would guess being a translator is not that easy. Its definitely much easier to find a Chinese folk who speaks excellent English.

Interpreters maybe, but my experience is that Chinese translators are excruciating. There should be a market for decent translators, though that won't help BB.