Chinese-Forums

electric water heater

mr.stinky

i'll be moving into a new apartment in two weeks, and want to install an electric water

heater for those non-sunny days.

small shop nearby has "iSea" (意先) brand with 30 liter tank. anyone know anything

about this brand?

another option is a small (about the size of a cereal box) tankless, unit that heats the

water as it flows through. anyone have one of these? if so, how well do they work?

small shop nearby has "iSea" (意先) brand with 30 liter tank. anyone know anything

about this brand?

Nope, I have never heard of this brand (but I'm not that familiar with these things).

another option is a small (about the size of a cereal box) tankless, unit that heats the water as it flows through. anyone have one of these? if so, how well do they work?

I encountered one of these on a recent trip to Malaysia, made by Panasonic. It seemed to work well, but then again we were dealing with a tropical climate so it's not like I wanted the water to be really hot.

I remember many years ago in Central America, the water "heater" was simply a shower head that had some exposed and dangerous looking electrical heating elements. I still cannot figure out how I did not get electrocuted...

Wait, your place didn't come with the water heater already installed??

gome carries the haier and ariston brands, but if the isea is comparable, i'd like to support

the little guy. of course, if they have a history of malfuctions/explosions...........

had a similar box when i lived in germany, small box run on natural gas, worked a little

too well...water came out scalding hot. i'd guess it was about 50 years old, so no

comparison to the new electronic controlled units.

to answer your question, this is an older building with common solar-heated water. would

rather not plan showers depending on the weather and neighbors shower times.

1497_thumb.attach

another option is a small (about the size of a cereal box) tankless, unit that heats the water as it flows through. anyone have one of these? if so, how well do they work?

My parents, in the UK, recently did away with their old water boiler in favour of a boiler on the style you described. The British technical name is a 'combi boiler'. Don't know if it's the same name in the US. The boiler runs on mains pressure without a tank. The water is heated as it flows through the boiler. Since there is no store of heat getting waisted throughout the day, it is supposed to be more fuel efficient and kinder to the environment. Also, there is no chance of running out of hot water. You could run the shower all day and it would still come out hot.

If you opt for a combi, look at the power rating in Watts. Also look at the flow rate (litres per minutes or similar) the bigger the number, the more water you can have and the hotter the water can be. If the number is too low then you'll either get a dribble of hot water or a flood of tepid water.

My parents, in the UK, recently did away with their old water boiler in favour of a boiler on the style you described. The British technical name is a 'combi boiler'. Don't know if it's the same name in the US. The boiler runs on mains pressure without a tank. The water is heated as it flows through the boiler. Since there is no store of heat getting waisted throughout the day, it is supposed to be more fuel efficient and kinder to the environment. Also, there is no chance of running out of hot water. You could run the shower all day and it would still come out hot.

If you opt for a combi, look at the power rating in Watts. Also look at the flow rate (litres per minutes or similar) the bigger the number, the more water you can have and the hotter the water can be. If the number is too low then you'll either get a dribble of hot water or a flood of tepid water.

I have one of these "combi boiler's"/cereal boxes (and have no clue if we even have them in the states) and it works just fun and they are more energy efficient and "better for the environment" that the water tanks....But if I ever get a family I will opt for the tank....