Chinese-Forums

exaggerated tones for beginners

doug86

As a general rule, what sounds exaggerated in your head sounds about right to the listener. This is true not just with Chinese tones, but with speech in general I think. When giving a public discourse in English, I have found this to be true as well. I feel like I am over doing the emphasis but it sounds right to the audience.

For the students that I have taught Chinese to, I usually tell them to exaggerate the tones and then it actually sounds right to me. So, I would say exaggerate and then get a Chinese person to listen to it and see if they say it sounds like you are over doing it.

Yes I think when you are starting out a beginner it is a good idea to really stress the tones. That way it will start to help you in being able to differentiate them. However, after a while you would need a good kouyu laoshi to help you pronounce the tones more subtely

To me, it seems like saying the tones more subtly comes naturally with practice. When you start trying to speed up, it is impossible to speak quickly and still exaggerate the tones. Then also, you learn which words are necessary to speak with proper tones because the listener doesn’t understand you when you don’t stress them. Another example is the 3rd tone. It seems like you don’t really have to learn rules about when to do full 3rd tones or the half 3rd tones (sandhi), because who wants to say a full 3rd tone in the middle of the sentence and slow the rhythm of the sentence down. So, the common thread here is, practice! (Like you haven’t heard that before)

Just my thoughts, probably completely wrong :)