Chinese-Forums

Chinese Dictionary EDITORS WANTED! ^_^ Thanks!!

geek_frappa

Very interesting and useful site. Thanks for making this available.

My main concern is that although it's a dictionary, it doesn't treat entries in terms of words but instead as frag men ted syl la bles. This kind of character-based thinking has been the bane of many dictionaries and similar projects.

Washington, D.C., for example is given as "hua sheng dun" and not as "Huashengdun". (Actually, the correct form in Hanyu Pinyin would be still be "Washington, D.C.", but I understand the need to list "Huashengdun".)

I would strongly advise that you take the approach of the excellent ABC dictionary series from the University of Hawai`i Press. (Here's what entries in that dictionary look like.)

For more on the rules of how to write things properly in Hanyu Pinyin, see Chinese Romanization: Pronunciation and Orthography (many sample sections available -- just scroll down the page) and "Basic Rules for Hanyu Pinyin Orthography."

hmm... good references, but.. my dictionary does not serve the same purpose as the ABC Dictionary. my dictionary is mostly useless and is linked to better dictionaries for user convenience.

besides, there are dictionaries that are older than ABC Dictionary that have better layouts and and interfaces...

> http://chinese.primezero.com/pzcdz/report1.html

maybe i will call this page The JunkYard... hehehe

> http://chinese.primezero.com/pzcdz/u4.php

your tool is pretty nice.

i will need to improve my quality before i can introduce a "dictionary" source database....

i wish we could all group together and form 1 good dictionary tool.

as a company.

but no one will give us money... oh well...

• 1 month later...
Sweet, glad to hear that. If it's seems feasible, I would consider incorporating it into my Chinese Reading Tool.

how about an RSS feed?

My main concern is that although it's a dictionary, it doesn't treat entries in terms of words but instead as frag men ted syl la bles. This kind of character-based thinking has been the bane of many dictionaries and similar projects.

you will find that I am the bane of most traditional education methods. :D

• 1 month later...
Washington, D.C., for example is given as "hua sheng dun" and not as "Huashengdun". (Actually, the correct form in Hanyu Pinyin would be still be "Washington, D.C.", but I understand the need to list "Huashengdun".)

I would strongly advise that you take the approach of the excellent ABC dictionary series from the University of Hawai`i Press. (Here's what entries in that dictionary look like.)

For more on the rules of how to write things properly in Hanyu Pinyin, see Chinese Romanization: Pronunciation and Orthography (many sample sections available -- just scroll down the page) and "Basic Rules for Hanyu Pinyin Orthography."

i'm not a very good programmer. implementing everything is so difficult...

i will release the source later, so that better programmers can improve my dictionary tool...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i have been trying to write test plans to implement the pinyin rules, but i think the effort is far too great for the demand at this time. i realized last night that complying with the rules is feasible, but not worth volunteering time. i think Microsoft should hire you as a consultant so that they can build some of these rules into their IME. what do you think?

• 3 weeks later...
openDict will be available for download in June i read i one post but is it avilabe yet? If not, will it be available?

good question. i have had no time to prepare openDict for wide-spread implementation. i will have more time to organize openDict/pzDict in January...

in the future, openDict will be editor-edited and pzDict will be primezero-edited. thanks for asking.