Chinese-Forums

Palm PDA Suggestions?

ZFS-China

First, I want to let you all know how great this forum is. I arrived in Hong Kong a few short weeks ago and have been burning up google researching studying Mandarin in Asia.

Admin Edit:See here for my current travel/study plan.

Several times I've found my exact questions answered here on these forums. So, kudos and thanks for being so awesome...now that I've sweetened you up a bit, maybe you can help me pick out a Palm OS PDA. :wink:

-I'm looking for electronic versions of some of the reference materials that I have (dictionaries, flashcards, organizers, etc.)

I bought an electronic English dictionary before this trip and I absolutely love it (Sharp PW-E550), it's just so quick and convenient. While I was looking for a Chinese equivalent I found Plecodict. It sounds fantastic and exactly like what I'm looking for. Having never bought a Palm PDA before, I'm slightly uninformed and hoping you all could help me out.

I've narrowed it down to the Palm TX or possibly one of the Treos. I have a separate cell phone (very basic), but if the Treo is just as good as the TX and not much more expensive, then why not. I travel a lot so if I need cell service I typically just buy refillable sim cards in the country that I'm in (I also don't know much about cell phone service in China).

I'm in Hong Kong and haven't gone around checking local prices, but the best deal for the TX that I've found has been from Amazon:

$263US Palm TX. This one comes with a hard cover case and screen protectors. I'm not sure I can find a better deal in Hong Kong.

The official prices for the Treos in Hong Kong are:

5900 HKD Palm 750

3900 HKD Palm 680

Definitely more expensive, but I'm fairly sure I could find cheaper if I hit the streets.

From what I have seen, spec-wise, I don't think I really need a Treo. But, I don't really know anything about Palms or PDAs. Am I missing any other great features that the Treos have over the TX? If not, then for the battery life alone, I think the TX is more up my alley.

Also, what do you think of that Amazon price? Can I get cheaper in Hong Kong or China? Note: My brother will be bringing it to me from the states if I order it through Amazon.

Hope you can :help.

ZFS

P.S. I'm also looking for applications. I love cool software, any recommendations for must have applications? I know the must haves for studying Chinese from a different thread on this forum, but are there any other must have apps?

I'm also looking for an electronic Spanish dictionary. I was considering buying this one but if there's a good one for the palm, then that would save some space and weight.

Is there a good Atlas program? Any good map software? What about books? Can you download those from somewhere?

The TX : $263 when converted back into sterling looks like a good deal ;)

I have Plecodict and bought a Palm TX for it. It's an expensive combo, which I justified by assuming I'd use the TX for other stuff. I downloaded a fantastic diary app and the free MP3 player is also good. However, I hardly ever carry the thing with me. I wish it could double as a mobile phone. So, it's an expensive but very good Chinese dictionary as far as I'm concerned.

Given that you don't seem to be too bothered about phone functionality I'd definitely go with the TX - very simple reason being the screen. The two Treos you mention have either 320*320 or 240*240 screens, the TX has 320*480. That extra real estate makes a lot of difference to usability. Plus it's cheaper. Unless you really want a smart phone or are concerned about having to carry an extra device, TX.

Free extra hint: Bear in mind that a US-sourced device won't have CJKOS or Penpower installed and you would have to buy those separately if you wanted them. A HK or China bought one will have them pre-installed.

There are also China brand Palms available in HK, you can get them in Fortress.

I don't know much about them though.

I went for a TX because I didn't want a phone and the extra real estate was the real draw.

http://www.chinese-forums.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=129142

Chinese-forums.com - Reply to Topic

I paid something like 1600HKD for the Palm, so it's on a par with the Amazon deal,but as Roddy pointed out I got CJKOS too.

I think you can get Google maps on the Palm if that's what you meant by an Atlas program.

Doesn't everything look like a good deal when converted back into sterling? *jealous!*

Ok, I'm sold on the TX. I hate cell phones really and I only use one if I have to. Having my cell phone separate from my Chinese dictionary allows me to destroy my phone and still continue studying Chinese. I like having options. :D

Thanks for the tip roddy, I'll see what kind of price I can get here in Hong Kong. I didn't realize those two programs cost $75 US.

• 1 month later...