Chinese-Forums

Thoughts on my Chinese name - need to pick it today!

mich327

Hi everyone, I am relocating to Shanghai soon and was told I need to quickly pick a Chinese name for my work visa and business cards. My English name is Michelle, so I would like something similar. I'm thinking Mei Xue or Mei Xiu, but I don't know how to pronounce them to know if I would like them. Can somebody comment on their English pronunciation?

Also, here is another list of potential names:

孔玫萱 (Kong Mei Xuan)

孔玫娴 (Kong Mei Xian)

孔眉璇 (Kong Mei Xuan)

孔美晳(Kong Mei Xi)

孔美晨(Kong Mei Chen)

孔美霞 (Kong Mei Xia)

孔美倩 (Kong Mei Qian)

孔美雪(Kong Mei Xue)

孔美琪 (Kong Mei Qi)

孔美欣 (Kong Mei Xin)

孔美林 (Kong Mei Lin)

孔美杉 (Kong Mei Shan)

Most of them look fine to me (but wait for a native speaker's thoughts), except the last two. 孔美林 Kong Meilin sounds very trite, by now there must be thousands and thousands of Meilins. Not a bad name, but completely unoriginal. 孔美杉 Kong Meishan, 'meishan' sounds a bit like 'beautiful shirt' to me. But I might be mistaken. You could also consider 美秀, sounds just like Michelle (but is also not very original).

They are all quite good names (both pronounciation and meanings). I am just wondering who give you some many offers :wink:

If put 孔(Kǒng) and 美(Meǐ) together, it's not easy even for Chinese to pronounce quite correctly. It can easily be prounouced as Kǒng Meí.

Personally I like 孔玫娴 (Kǒng Meí Xián) , 孔美晳(Kǒng Meǐ Xī) and 孔美琪 (Kǒng Meǐ Qí).

• 4 weeks later...