Chinese-Forums

Phlegm management in a polluted China

onebir

first attempt.....i dunno....

had to cut the end off the nipple in order to get flow out of the bottle. not uncomfortable

at all, maybe i'm doing something wrong. anyway, no flow through the nostrils, but did

get a bunch of gunk out. does it take a couple tries to get the flow right?

anyway, breathing is a little easier. will try again tomorrow.

Just to add to this - I started using a neti pot about 1 month ago and it is great to clear out the nasal passages. It is strange at first but you get used to it... as I am moving to Beijing soon, I will definitely be bringing it along.

One tip, it is very important to get the water to salt ratio correct and to use warm water. If you get a burning sensation, it is because the water to salt ratio is off. Also, the salt needs to be non-iodized. The ratio, by the way, is 1/4 teaspoon to 8 ounces of warm water (not hot water or, again, it will be uncomfortable).

The neti pot should also come with some instructions. If you are like me and have a dry nose, you may need to do some exercises to remove any remaining saline.

Hope that helps.

• 1 month later...

baby bottle works fine once the nipple tip is cut off, although you still need to gently

squeeze the bottle to get enough flow. a pot would not have this problem, as the lid

would allow air flow, but the baby nipple is sooooooo soft and comfy.

tried it over the course of two weeks, got to the point where i could get flow both

ways, although sometimes flow would come out the back of my throat. noticed

a slight breathing improvement at first, but then would get what appears to be a

sinus infection, which would last for a few days. maybe i'm not drying the sinuseses

thoroughly?

haven't tried for a few weeks, kinda forgot about it. maybe tomorrow.

• 3 years later...