Chinese-Forums

anyone to BNU at feb 2008?

dys31

• 2 weeks later...

i know ill still be here in february.

feel free to contact me when you get here. and until then, you can ask any specific questions you have on the forum and youll probably get some quick and thorough answers.

i was really lucky to have met "jamoldo" when i FIRST got here. he helped me buy my cell phone and get settled in without feeling bewildered and hopelessly confused. i probably would have cried myself to sleep for a week if he and his friend werent so freaking nice to me.

itd be pretty awesome to be able to help someone new and keep the love flowing, na'mean?

• 2 weeks later...

HI Jamoldo,

Thanks.

- what the average age /nationalities trends in the classes?

- how many hours per week? how many class levels are there?

- if you start the courses with more or less level 3 HSK, what can you expect after 6months studying "normally"? after a year?

- can I take 6 months then swith to something more business oriented?

Cheers,

Gaikokujin

1. Average age, I'd estimate low 20s, but all ranges. From 17 years old up to 40, and maybe above. That being said, most are undergraduate students, either from other countries, or foreign students studying to get their B.A. from Beishida. With regards to nationalities, the majority of foreign students are Korean, followed by Japanese. As you go higher in level the more Korean and Japanese students there are (especially Korean). In the lower levels you also have a lot of Indonesians (that's been my observation). Then there's a scattering of Europeans, Americans, Malaysians, Africans etc.

2. There are 15 to 17 class hours a week (depending on if you go to the extra/optional tutoring class that's offered). Class levels range from first year to fourth year. 100 (ni hao), 101, 102, 201, 202, 301, 302, 401, 402.

3. One should progress "3" levels on the HSK per year ON AVERAGE. Depends on how much Chinese you speak and how hard you study for the HSK. After all the HSK is a test that one has to prepare for. I have met people who had trouble speaking Chinese but did very well on the HSK, and vice versa. Different people progress at different levels, so it's hard to say.

4. You can study for 6 months, and then try to sit in and audit a business class. Most professors, from what I hear would allow it, though I think I'd get lost really quickly, unless I was at a decent level of Chinese. What you can do is during Newspaper reading class, choose to translate articles reporting business and economics news, which is what I choose to do. I am sure you can also find someone to tutor you for cheap, and help you with business and economics stuff.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

I'm sure taking Japanese should be no problem, but I'm the wrong person to ask. Best to probably ask the Foreign Students Office, or better yet find out from a local student/your teacher who to get in touch with...

And yes you should apply as a Language Student.

I think you should be aware that you have to work your arse off to keep up with the classes at BNU. You will have a reading and writing class (learn about 60 words a week), speaking (45 words a week), listening (25 words), and newspaper reading (30 words). And that's just the words in the new word lists in the text book. On top of that, you will probably have to look up lots of other words to understand the texts we study - plus you will have homework to do for reading and writing class and newspaper reading. I would be surprised if you have much time for Japanese as well. Even the Koreans in my class aren't really keeping up with it all any more. It's a great place to improve your reading and writing very quickly!

Great feedback Orangutan, thanks a lot.

May I ask you which level you are referring to in your description please?

It looks very serious and demanding, which is what I am expecting.

Concerning the Japanese, I just wanted to see my options, having just regular chat with the mates are another option as well.

Cheers,

Gaikokujin

I am in 102 but I think you will find 201 has the same subjects and workload. I would have thought you would be in one of these two levels if you've reached HSK level 3. I'm sure the workload at the other levels is heavy too, although the exact subjects they study may be different (100 and 101 don't have newspaper reading, for example).

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

hi there

anyone know of any cheap hotels that host foreigners near to beishida? i have a friend coming in a few weeks and want to find him a place close to me...(no space in my shed, the sofa's occupied with books and dirty clothes)....

cheers

clive

Yes, but I can't remember the name. Come out of the west gate, and walk south, crossing under the big rainbow thing and it's on your left. It's one of those cheap and cheerful chain places, but I think it's got good reports on here. If you come past Jindian Huayuan you've gone too far, or its closed, or I've imagined it.