Chinese-Forums

Working in Nanjing or Hong Kong

yyxqq

Hey guys, this is my first post so please take it easy :)

I am currently an IT Manager working in Melbourne, I am a native speaker of both Mandarin and English, I am interested in working in Nanjing or Hong Kong, was just wondering what kind of pay I can expect from both cities, my current wage is roughly 50000 a year Australian dollars, I think give or take that’s about 300000 Chinese? Right now I am not even sure if I am suppose to be expecting anything over that or under that salary ...

Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance...

• 2 years later...

Hi yyxq,

This is a bit late in getting back to you but you could probably find a comprable salary level in HK as it has a sort of western way of doing things and a western cost of living. Nanjing engineers get paid from about the Chinese wage of 4,000 -8,000 CNY /month to perhaps 15,000-25,000 if you get brought over by a company and have lots of experience.

Shanghai has software jobs in the upper range. So I wouldn't recommend Nanjing if your objective is making the big bucks.

Good luck,

Simon:)