Chinese-Forums

Best teachers...

Guest sjj17

Im just wondering where people have found their best speaking and listening teachers.

I have been teaching in China for nearly a year now and studying Chinese for about 9 months. I have never had a formal teacher or any lessons and am mainly teaching myself from books. But, I have found that I have learnt a huge amount of Chinese from the incredibly kind lady who has been teaching me to cook.

I started learning to cook at christmas and there was alot of pointing and laughing and pretty much no comprehension or speaking on my part. About a month ago when she stopped teaching me we were having conversations about when my parents were coming and where I was going travelling next. I had to learn to speak because I was with her for about an hour and a half five mornings a week and not being able to communicate was far too stressful. I hadnt realised quite how much she has helped me until the last few weeks when I have felt Ive had next to no progress and then it clicked that I wasnt using the language.

Ive just found another group of teachers, a jiaozi stall in the market next to the school, with lots of very interested old grandpas, so thats where Ill be having my breakfast for the next for weeks. :D

Sarah

I hadnt realised quite how much she has helped me until the last few weeks when I have felt Ive had next to no progress and then it clicked that I wasnt using the language.

This reminds me of one of Confucius's quotes, "Tell me and I forget. Show me and I remember. Let me do and I understand." :D