Chinese-Forums

Random Post Office Question

roddy

So I'll assume Canada, the US and Australia don't have un-gummed envelopes? Europe, Africa, the rest of Asia? Come in, South America. Can anyone remember them from when they were kids.

This is in other cultures and languages, btw. Looking for a global perspective here . . .

So I'll assume Canada, the US and Australia don't have un-gummed envelopes?

I've never seen them in Canada before. Our post offices will often have "water wheels" for you to wet your stamps after buying them at the counter. Can't really use them for sealing envelopes, though I suppose they assume you've already done that at home. :)

I think they're just trying to save a few cents. You don't have lick pre-gummed stamps, but China doesn't have them either.

But it's true too that we avoid licking. In many times I saw some TV news hostess licking paper when they browse. A beauty, in public, licking paper. So unappropriate!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, i really appreciate you to discuss that point now.

Christmas coming next month, my dear roomate and me were in a mood for sending Christmas. And she has a huge family, a good bunch of friends, on my side I had quite a lot of people to write to (hehe, i'm not that much a card nor Chritsmas person, but you don't have so often the occasion to send Christmas cards from Urumqi right?).

So yesterday, we arrived to the post office with our 123 non pre-gummed envelopps, 5 rolls of adesive tape in case the post-office won't close the envelops for us (didn't close the envelops in advance because sometime, they want to open them before shipping to check whatever they want to check), and our naive happyness at the idea of our friends receiving the postcards.

And with a stupid grin on their face, the post office employees told us that,yes, good thing we didn't close them beore coming to the office, and haha, we have to close all the envelops by ourselves, and no, no, we shall not use the tape we brought because it would have been too easy and efficient, but use the glue jar with the stuff they call glue that doesn't stick, and yes it took us ages because the evil stuff won't go out of the pot, then won't go on the appropriate place on the envelop to contribute to the function of closing the envelop, and anyway, after 32", the envelop you just closed pops up open because the glue is not strong enough to keep it closed, but strong enough to keep two envelops you would have by mistake put too closed to each other stuck together for ever, bah it's too bad those two envelops have to go to different destinations. And the post officer with his smile from one ear to another "helping" us by carrying each "ready" envelop from the gluing desk to the stamping desk, and coming back after 32" when the envelop has poped up open.

But "When you're chewing life's gristle,

Don't grumble,

Give a whistle

And this'll help things turn out for the best.

And...

Always look on the light side of life, badam, bada bada badaam"