Chinese-Forums

Help with Ni Haishu (倪海曙) citation

bokane

In The Chinese Language: Fact and Fantasy, John DeFrancis has a great quote which he attributes to Ni Haishu: "Habit is a very irrational thing [...?] The force of habit of a billion people is a force to be feared." I don't have the DeFrancis book on me, unfortunately; looking at that page in Google Books, he attributes it to Ni Haishu (1980:35-38).

I looked online and found a collection of Ni's work entitled 杂格咙咚 published in 1980. Ordered it, and found that it appears to be the wrong work -- the quote in question doesn't seem to be in there, and in general the content of the book is not (for the most part) related to romanization. Does anybody know (a) what DeFrancis is quoting, and (B) where I can get a copy? Or - better yet - where I can find the original text online?

• 3 months later...