Chinese-Forums

Tai Bao Zheng?

shanghaikai

Hi guys,

This may be a shot in the dark but I need some information on the Tai Bao Zheng. What exactly does it do for the person who has it? From what I understand, it allows Taiwanese to enter HK and mainland China but is it like a standard visa in the sense that it stipulates number of entries and duration of legal stay? How about for work? Does a Tai Bao Zheng in of itself allow the person to legally work in China?

Thanks in advance for any information or knowledge. I ran a search on here but didn't turn up anything and my Googling only yielded two results that were actually copies of each other. Cheers.

You may already of browsed through this information, but it's the only decent source that I could find via Googling.

This is taken from the HK Immigration Department:

12. Taiwan residents holding a valid "Mainland Travel Permits for Taiwan Residents" (commonly known as "Tai Bao Zheng") with a valid entry/exit endorsement for the Mainland may enter Hong Kong as visitor and stay for up to 7 days irrespective of whether they are transitting Hong Kong to/from the Mainland or coming to Hong Kong for visit, provided the normal immigration requirements are met.

Previously, you could use it to enter HK for seven days only if it were for transit purposes (source). So, answering one of your questions, it looks like the legal duration is seven days for HK. I'm not sure about the Mainland though!

Neither PRC nor ROC officially recognize it as an international visa, passport or a lawful I.D card, and its official status is an entry permit only, but it's a de facto I.D. card for taiwanese in the mainland China.

Originally issued for the purposes of travel and family gathering, this permit has soon been accepted by banks, employers, hotels, airlines and all regional gov't as acceptable ID card for taiwanese. Hong Kong and Macau's Hui Xiang Zheng (Permit for coming back to hometown) has the same use too.

I'm currently scouring the Forumosa...uh..forums and getting some good information though I haven't run across an answer for the exact question I have. As such, I continue to welcome any information from any kind, informed souls here.