Chinese-Forums

Interpreting a paragraph

DrWatson

This is a passage taken from a text I am studying from. I had a few questions about it and was hoping I might get some feedback.

1) 一聽可著了急 -- does this mean anxiously listening?

2) What does 他就到《她》那裡去 mean? I really cannot figure out the meaning.

3) 說甚麼也不肯去 -- Does this mean "say something also about not agreeing to go"?

4) In the final clause, what does 連 do/mean in this sentence?

爺爺一聽可著了急,上星期六就約好了,星期一把聰聰送進幼兒園,他就到《她》那裡去.誰知道今天聰聰特別不聽話,說甚麼也不肯去.他不禁嘆息起來;想當年,自己能指揮一個團,現在卻連一個五歲孫子都指揮不了.

Edit: thanks for catching the typo, studentyoung

2) It is a part of what is before it... 一。。。就。。。。 so as soon as he dropped of the kid at the kindergarten he then went to wherever she was at.

3) No matter what was said he wasn't willing to go 肯=愿意 说什么也不 no matter what was said, implying persuasion

4) 连 means even

2) It is a part of what is before it... 一。。。就。。。。 so as soon as he dropped of the kid at the kindergarten he then went to wherever she was at.
The 一 you're referring to here is part of 星期一。

3) 什么也不 and 什么都不 are fixed phrases, they mean "nothing at all", or "not anything", as in 我什么都没看懂 - I didn't understand anything.

1) 一聽課著了急 -- does this mean anxiously listening?

Here is a typo. It is not “課”, but “可”. The original text should be: 爺爺一聽可著急了(On hearing this, Grandfather became so worried).

3) 說甚麼也不肯去 -- Does this mean "say something also about not agreeing to go"?

“說什麼也不…… “ means “someone are so reluctant to do something no matter how hard you try to persuade him/her”.

他不禁嘆息起來;想當年,自己能指揮一個團,現在卻連一個五歲孫子都指揮不了.

连here means “even”. He couldn’t help sighing in his heart, “I could control a whole regiment, but now I can’t even control my five year old grandson.”

Cheers!

1.一聽課著了急.

Is tins setence "一聽可著了急"?

It means when grandpa heard the news he feel anxious at onece.as same as 一····就····

2.他就到《她》那裡去。"《xx》",xx is a book's name.But 她 is a person,so you can't use "《》"(書名號)

" It is a part of what is before it... 一。。。就。。。。 so as soon as he dropped of the kid at the kindergarten he then went to wherever she was at."right answer.

3) 說甚麼也不肯去:in this setence,甚麼也不means not at all. 說甚麼也不肯去:whatever grandpa say 聰聰 don't agree to go to 幼兒園 at all.

連:indicate emphasis

想當年,自己能指揮一個團,現在卻連一個五歲孫子都指揮不了.

in this setence,grandpa think:in the past he can command troop,but now he can't command his five-year old grandson.

emphasize 一個五歲孫子都指揮不了.

my english is not very well,hope you can understand what i say.

想當年,自己能指揮一個團,現在卻連一個五歲孫子都指揮不了.

Here he is saying that he could conduct a musical group in the past, but now he could not even command a five-year-old kid.

for an another example,

以前她可以吃下五個漢堡,現在卻連一碗飯都吃不完。

In the past she could eat up five hamburgers, (but) now she could not even finish one bowl of rice.

"連" is often used to compare a big difference between the past and the present situation.

So I have some more questions based on the responses above. I can't seem to wrap my head around some of the grammar.

1) Is it true that 一 corresponding with the 就 is the one attached 星期一 and not 一聽? I thought that 星期一 was Monday? If it is true, then what does 一聽 mean?

2) I am afraid I still don't get this part: 他就到"她"那裡去. "then went to wherever she was at." 他 in this case is not the Grandfather, but the boy? Is that why the 把 structure was used? Does it focus the attention to the boy?

Thanks for your help so far! It is really helping me understand the text better.

Okay the one 一 is a part of 星期一 so it is not part of an 一。。。就。。。structure. However the 一聽 is part of that type of structure (就可以省略) so that one means "as soon as he heard it....."

For the 把字句 the 他 is the grandfather, notice the subject isn't changing. [He/Grandpa]把the kid 送到幼儿园 and then he [still grandfather] went wherever he went to. The 把 doesn't add emphisis to the child, it's just the best way to say the sentence. It keeps the grandpa as the subject all the way through and all the actions, 送 and 去 belong to him.