Chinese-Forums

Travel info

onebir

I'm trying to figure out how to get somewhere slightly remote & small in Fujian (Taining near Sanming).

Does anyone konw of any websites that

a) give a detailed rail map of China

B) have online timetables that are intelligent enough to tell you where you need to change instead of just returning 'no results' when there's no direct train

c) provide info on long-distance coach services?

Look at the map here: http://www.chinavista.com/companies/smprojects/english/summary.htm

This map indicates there is a station Shaowu just to the north of Taining. You can get to it on the Fuzhou Chengdu line. From Kunming you can change in Hankou (in Wuhan) and then get the Hankou Shaowu K242/243. The train arrives in Hankou from Chengdu at 9:02 and leaves 9:10, arrvies inn Shaowu at 18:10. Or you can carry on to Sanming, where it arrives 22;43. There is a stop Laizhou in between at 21:00. So your main difficulty is how to get fromm Shaowu or Laizhou or Sanming to Taining - there must be a bus of some type.

Thanks a lot Josh! I think I was partly thrown by the Wuhan station not being called "Wuhan", which meant the timetable I was using* indicated there were no Kunming-Wuhan trains. :roll:

I can get a lift from Sanming. Sounds like I could:

- as you say, take trains Kunming-Hankou-Sanming

- or take trains Kunming-Longyan*-Sanming (which seems a bit nicer because it lets me stop off to check out Foshan, en route)

I thought there were flights Kunming-Wuyi Shan; from there you can get trains to Sanming. But they seem to have evaporated...

Still seems like there's a gap in the market for an 'waiguoren-friendly integrated China travel website'...

*http://www.chinahighlights.com/china-trains/ - is there a better one than this?

**Chengdu-Fuzhou line

***Kunming-Xiamen line