Chinese-Forums

長江七號

skylee

It's a pretty disappointing trailer. I'm not sure that audiences will be impressed by the CGI display - is that what we're looking for in a Stephen Chow movie? Also, is the junk heap supposed to be a reference to that scene in Shaolin Soccer where he kicks the refrigerator?

I'm not sure that audiences will be impressed by the CGI display

No. But perhaps one of the selling points is the lousy CGI (think Ed Wood). :D Chow in the film is a poor farmer who I guess also picks useful stuff from those trash hills.

• 1 month later...

What I don't get is that they're revealing all sorts of information in the current media blitz -we know what the thing is, and we know what eventually happens. Do the producers think that people will pour out to see the movie just because it has Stephen Chow in it, regardless of whether they know all the plot details or not?

• 2 weeks later...

There's a new trailer out:

(youtube), mainland version (Sina).

It's interesting to compare the two. The Taiwan version seems to actually be the International version, with English narration over Cantonese dialogue. The mainland version has mandarin narration and dialogue, and a few cuts.

If it's targeted toward kids, there may be cuts in the mainland edition of the film itself. If that happens, will there still be a full mandarin version for Taiwan, or will it be Cantonese (full) and Mandarin (cut)? I ask because I'm accustomed to Shi Banyu's dubbing, but I want to see the full version (this preview leaves a much better impression on me than the earlier one - Stephen Chow is in full-on spoof mode).

(found on MKGenie Polaris)

• 1 month later...

I've heard that it's disappointing, and I'm also one of many who paid a few dozen bucks to buy a ticket and confirm that it's really disappointing. Stephen is a phenomenon now and no matter how bad the feedback is, you simply can't miss it. At least we have to discuss with our friends how disappointing this movie is. :mrgreen: