Chinese-Forums

Ni Hao Everyone - Quick Help Please!

curiosityscat

Ni Hao Everyone, I am a very beginning student of Chinese Mandarin and Pinyin...although I would love to learn spoken and written Chinese, the written part other than Pinyin seems very difficult...I have been trying to utilize various resources (and I have a few more books on the way from online shopping, but it's all still over my head).

I made the mistake of writing a contact using a bit of Pinyin and goodness...she wrote back and I haven't a clue what she is saying..I tried the www.chinese-online-dictionary.com (as I do not have many Pinyin resources that do a reverse translation) but I honestly can't make sense of it..CAN ANYONE HELP ME TRANSLATE THE FOLLOWING FROM PINYIN INTO ENGLISH?

Ni De Putonghua Shou De Fei Chang Hao! Ni Xie De Pin Yin Ye Hen Zheng Que. Bu Jiu De Jiang Lai Wo Men Ke Yi Shuo Zhong Wen Le, Huan Ying

Lai Zhongguo Guangdong Zhao Wo Wan

This is what I sort of got on my own:

You (a grammar addition) Common Language speak (a grammar addition) ...something or other...good! You thank (grammar addition) Pin Yin ....*shrugs* I haven't a clue.... doesn't do something...I do something but speak something...very..something...honestly, I don't know... PLEASE HELP!

By the way, I am extremely impressed by this website and the level of skill of its members...wow! I really aspire to learn Mandarin even remotely as well as everyone so I can understand more of what is written on here. I welcome any suggestions for good resources that a beginning Adult English to Mandarin student might find valuable. I am currently trying to learn Mandarin all on my own using the Pimselur Approach, along with Communicating in Chinese 301 (still waiting for receipt of that one)..flashcards (I'll post more about those once I get them in the mail)...oh and I tried out "Communicating in Chinese" by the CCTV Volumes 1 & 2....definitely not for beginners if you only have the text books...quite over my head for the moment.

Thank you all in advance for your time and patience, this is my first post and one of my first ventures into actually using Pinyin....not such a good job on my part but I'm trying.

Ni De Putonghua Shou De Fei Chang Hao! Ni Xie De Pin Yin Ye Hen Zheng Que. Bu Jiu De Jiang Lai Wo Men Ke Yi Shuo Zhong Wen Le, Huan Ying

Lai Zhongguo Guangdong Zhao Wo Wan

You speak Putonghua very well! The pinyin you wrote is perfect (very correct). We will be able to converse in Chinese in the near future. You are welcome to come to Guangdong, China to visit me.

I'd guess that the last sentence means something like, "you're welcome to come to Guangdong, China and visit me/look for me so we can hang out"

The "Wan" could be "Wanr", meaning "play" or "hang out". "Zhao wo" sounds like "look for me / visit me".

EDIT: I see that skylee fixed her post in the meantime.

Putonghua means Chinese.

Xie here is not xie4 but xie3, to write.

There are three forms of the particle de. One usage is about the same as the English 's, so Ni de Putonghua = You's Chinese = Your Chinese. For more explanation and other usages, check the grammar forum.

Ni De Putonghua Shou De Fei Chang Hao! Ni Xie De Pin Yin

你 的 普通话 说 的 非 常 好 ! 你 写 的 拼 音

Ye Hen Zheng Que. Bu Jiu De Jiang Lai Wo Men Ke Yi Shuo

也 很 正 确。 不 久 的 将 来 我 们 可 以 说

Zhong Wen Le, Huan Ying Lai Zhongguo Guangdong Zhao Wo Wan

中 文 了, 欢 迎 来 中国 广东 找 我 玩

Putonghua = Mandarin