Chinese-Forums

Studying at Beijing Sports University

David1

Hi

If it is Taiji you are interested in then this may not be the best place. It depends on the style you want to learn and if you want traditional training or competition forms. What are you looking for, how long are you going for and do you have any background in any of the arts.

Hi

Each system has its own basics. it is best to pick one style and ground in that one. They all build a different foundation for later on in the style. There are many lines of thought on Taiji and where it originates. This is a constant battle between the students of each style and the historians. The main styles commonly written about are, Wu, Hao, Sun, Yang and Chen. A lot say that Chen was the original form and all others come from that. The Chen village has become a big training center and the leaders have travelled around the world to spread this system. The village near by ( zhao bao ) has also started to say that it was in fact there that Taiji started. Wudang mountains is also another place that states that it is home to taiji. Who knows. At this time there are very good teachers of traditional taiji and other martial arts teaching in parks in Beijing and other cities. A lot of them teach for nothing. These are the old guard who trained with the best. As an example. Chen fake ( 1887-1957) of Chen village first brought Chen style taiji to Beijing . He was one of the all time greats. His grandson still teaches in Beijing and his last and greatest student ( feng zhiqiang 1928- )still runs a free class in a park. This goes for teachers of the other main styles. There are also many other internal martial art teachers who are not well known and do not teach in schools who have great skill and practice in the parks every day. I hope this is of some help .

Roddy sorry for the long post

phil

Looking around on other threads I have noticed people think it is generally better not go through one of the systems like educasian. I am trying to contact BSU directly but I don't read chinese and when you go their website and press English the page breaks. I found this website (http://www.taolu.de/node/27) and asked them about studying at BSU but they have not gotten back to me. Does anybody know a way I can reach BSU?

• 2 years later...

At this time there are very good teachers of traditional taiji and other martial arts teaching in parks in Beijing and other cities. A lot of them teach for nothing. These are the old guard who trained with the best. As an example. Chen fake ( 1887-1957) of Chen village first brought Chen style taiji to Beijing . He was one of the all time greats. His grandson still teaches in Beijing and his last and greatest student ( feng zhiqiang 1928- )still runs a free class in a park. This goes for teachers of the other main styles. There are also many other internal martial art teachers who are not well known and do not teach in schools who have great skill and practice in the parks every day. I hope this is of some help .

Hi,

I will be in Beijing Sports University as a Chinese language student for a year, starting in September. I have been training Taekwondo for three years and I want to practice martial arts while I am in Beijing. Though I will be at Beijing Sports University, I fear that I won't be admitted to the regular martial art classes unless I enroll to them, but since I will have to attend the Chinese language classes I won't have time to attend the sport classes.

I wonder if I can find a place where I can attend freely without enrollment and practice martial arts. this can be like free student clubs (we have many in my home university where we practice for free) or chinese people practicing in the parks. This will also help me better to merge with Chinese people and practice Chinese. But I don't know how I will be able to find such a place. what do you suggest?