Chinese-Forums

Banking "Safety" Features

muyongshi

Every now and again my bank decides (or it's computers rather) that my account activity falls under the "suspicious" category and then locks my atm card resulting in me having to call them and having the same conversation where I sound like an idiot trying to explain that they have locked my card and they sit there going "huh???" and then I wait for 5 minutes and I get it back. The "suspicious" activity I have figured out is if I go to a different city and make a withdrawal there within one week of a previous withdrawal. Nothing I can really do about it except put up with "friendly service people" on the other end of skype.

I'm just curious if anyone else has had similar experience of a long period of time (this happens probably every other month to every three months for the last 2 years) and not just on that one trip that you did. Anyone? Or am I the only sufferer of technology?

Never had it happen to me. I told my bank back in Oz that I was based in China and that was that. Is there a way to have them flag your account that you're overseas for an extended period of time? Next time you speak with someone, keep asking to speak to a superior until you get someone who can solve your problem.

"Safety" features my foot... inconvenience features more like... I set up an account before I came over, told them I was doing it cos I was coming to China... specifically made sure it was all ok and that the internet feature was set up and ready to go, yep they said... and forgot to tell me about all the identity extras I would need to do to activate it like going into the branch to id me... bit hard when its 8000miles away... banks... sheesh... on a more thankful note at least my card works ok...

I've had good luck so far with HSBC, set it up before I left America, easy to transfer money in and out to other accounts, and you can use the card at any atm in the worl practically, they will even refund the fees 3x in a month if you use an out of network atm too. Everything is setup and managed online.

www.hsbcdirect.com

You may remember my recent posts about my visiting friend who was unable to withdraw money at any ATM in Beijing. Then he visited some other provinces for a week or so, and was able to withdraw money ONCE in a small town I forget where. When he got back to Beijing, he still could not make any withdrawals. I tried "suggesting" to him that he should contact his bank, but he seemed to think that it was a "China problem".

"But there were lots of other foreigners at the bank with the same problem as me..."

"I'm surprised that China is like this, I've never had problems in other supposedly less-developed asian countries..."

blah blah blah blah

Ok, I'm going to bed.. goodnight

Annoying yes, I've got the same issues with my bank in Europe.

However, we can't really blame them either: all accounts have an insurance against fraud these days.

As we all know, China is a very popular country for fraud, together with Russia. So, I'm not really surprised banks set their automated fraud checking systems to be very non-forgiving about any transactions related to China.

Insurances simply don't like to pay ... at least I've never found one.

I'm not sure which country your ATM cards is from but in the US it is a safey measure. Before going overseas esp. to countries like Eastern Europe, Russia, China, Thailand, etc, you need to inform your bank that you will be using your ATM card there.

I would rather be inconvenienced by a phone call than go through th process of dealing with identity theft.

• 2 weeks later...

Before my extended Asia trip (6 months), I informed my bank (atm card), visa, and AMEX that I would be there and NOT to put any holds on my cards if it starts to be used in far off places. One of them (I think my bank) even asked me what countries I would likely visit. I told the person 'all of them'.

... she said ok :D

So far so good. Cards have worked in Taipei, Hong Kong, Hang Zhou, Shanghai, ...etc. No lock-outs.

I have thought about that but right now my mom is on the account to and her account is the same bank so whenever I need to mooch some dough off of her it is really easy :mrgreen: (sh) I'm just hoping the Chinese paypal will start letting transfer US funds into it and then I can do free transfers into my Chinese account.