Chinese-Forums

idiom

rezaf

It's feng4, not 1, in the second part: 龙配龙,凤配凤.

The translation on the Internet is invariably "Let beggars match with beggars." I was surprised; considering the high esteem that dragons and phoenixes are held in, I would have guessed "Birds of a feather flock together", or similar.

龙归龙, 凤归凤?

Is there such term? I would consider this term meant everyone belonged to their own groups.

The original term: “龙配龙,风配风”means the dragons should marry dragons and the phoenix should marry phoenix. It means people should "marry" their own kind, or, in some cases, everyone has someone who could match him/her as his/her perfect spouse.

Today I also found 龙生龙, 凤生凤: "Each after its own kind".

Going on, I found a Korean site, offering

Jack-daw always perches near jack-daw.

⇒ Birds of a feather flock together.

⇒ Let beggars match with beggars.

⇒ Like attracts like.

⇒ Like draws like.

It seems that at least the English "Let beggars match with beggars" means that partners in marriage should have similar backgrounds.

龙归龙' date=' 凤归凤?[/quote']

Is there such term? I would consider this term meant everyone belonged to their own groups.

Never heard of it. The closest thing that I know is 塵歸塵,土歸土 (ashes to ashes, dust to dust). :D

Sorry I meant 龙生龙 but I have heard someone for the "effect" change it to 归 but he was making a statement about something...can't remember now...

The original term: “龙配龙,风配风”means the dragons should marry dragons and the phoenix should marry phoenix. It means people should "marry" their own kind, or, in some cases, everyone has someone who could match him/her as his/her perfect spouse.

So does this fall under the category of 门当户对?

Originally Posted by Lugubert

It seems that at least the English "Let beggars match with beggars" means that partners in marriage should have similar backgrounds.

i guess similar characters, appearances, interests--sometimes even similar religions, races--should also be counted in a marriage ..

in some cases, 龙配龙,凤配凤 is similar to 门当户对 (men2 dang1 hu4 dui4), but the latter is more focusing on having similar social backgrounds/classes..

I have no clue of the simplified “风”or “凤". Basically, it is the character for pheonix.

龙生龙, 凤生凤 => It's more like dragon's child is dragon, and pheonix' child is pheonix. A person's children would be like the parent. In this case, I don't think "each after its own kind" is quite suitable here since I think the English word "after" here is like "is attracted to". When the sentence uses 生 (give birth) here, it has nothing to do with the attraction for the 2nd 龙 or 凤. The 2nd 龙 or 凤 is the child of the first 龙 or 凤. The attraction are secondary and not included in the meaning of this sentence.

Phoenix is 凤 or traditional 鳳, wind is 风 or 風

In this case, I don't think "each after its own kind" is quite suitable here since I think the English word "after" here is like "is attracted to".

Well I can see why the person wrote after and it is just a small error since we do say to each his own which deals with a personal preference but after here does not necessarily mean attracted to. As a native English speaker I read it and to me it meant "takes after" which refers to a child taking after (or being like) their parent. It may be better then to say each like it's one or something similar showing that a 凤 will give birth to it's one kind.

According to my husband (English speaking native and also writes very well), "each after its own kind" means "each person behaves like the other people in his own group". However, he also says it's not like the parents/children relationship.

龙生龙, 凤生凤: "Dragon gives birth to dragon, and phoenix gives birth to dragon" means the children takes after their parents' characteristics. In a way, they could somewhat explained as "each after its own kind", but it also have a kind of meaning that is beyond just the behaviors, but also the personality, looks, etc. For example, the full sentence should be "龙生龙, 凤生凤, 老鼠的兒子會打洞." It sort of implies the mice were born with the ability and desire to make holes in the walls.

Yes the "each after his own kind" does generally refer more to social groups but what I am saying is that it doesn't have to mean that. Especially when explaining an untranslatable 歇後語.

Like I said I read it and took it to me take after but maybe that's just because I understand the original text as well.

• 2 weeks later...