Jump to content
  • Sign Up

BLCU's school code?


Recommended Posts


Do all foreign schools offer federal financial aid?

No. The school must be accredited by an agency recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education and be eligible to participate in federal student aid programs. Federal financial aid is available only to students attending eligible institutions.

Call the Federal Student Aid Information Center (FSAIC) toll free to find out if a school is eligible: (800) 4-FED-AID (433-3243).

U.S. federal aid at international institutions is available only in the form of Stafford and PLUS loans.

If my school doesn’t participate in the federal program, can I apply for a private loan instead?

No. Schools must be approved by the Department of Education to offer the private loans listed above.

I'd take that as a "probably not", but you can email them and check I guess. I'd be interested to see what they say

Link to comment
Share on other sites

lotsa luck figuring that all out. i have the same problem with the irs - there are several

programs whereby tuition and associated costs are tax deductible, but you have to

find an 'accredited' or 'eligible' school. and like the grammar explanations in the old beijing

textbooks, "an elegible school is a school that is eligible."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Many thanks to you guys.

I've just called the Federal Student Aid Information Center and asked them if BLCU is an eligible institution, they said its not approved by the U.S. Secretary of Education. Actually, there's no universities in Beijing that are eligible. There only recongized schools in China are Hong Kong, Nanjing, and Shanghai. That's pretty disgusting. How can UConn, Harvard, Boston send their kids to BLCU for short term semesters, and the school doesn't even have their code. I've found this website, not sure it's going to be useful for the Sallie Mae:


Thanks a lot!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't know much about how the US system works, but I believe some of the study-in-China agencies can provide credit transferable back to the US, maybe via a US university partner. Would that make it eligible? example.

Going through an agency won't make it cheaper though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

transferability of credit is not the deciding factor, it's this (from the irs):

" Eligible Education Institution. An eligible educational institution is an college, university,

vocational school, or other post-secondary educational institution eligible to participate in a

student aid program administered by the Department of Education. It includes virtually all

accredited, public, nonprofit, and proprietary (privately owned profit-making) postsecondary

institutions. The educational institution should be able to tell you if it is an eligible educational


yeah, right. the folks at the school office can't pronounce "eligible educational institution,"

so basically you go back and forth between irs and doe reps, some of whom may even

know that china is not in south america, and will eventually respond with "but, they're


i suppose this will require some sort of reciprocal treaty.....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and select your username and password later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Click here to reply. Select text to quote.

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...